Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, January 15, 113 days from the NFL Draft.
We’re looking at the Redskins’ salary cap all week long here on Real Redskins. Here’s a look at five of the Redskins’ best cap values in 2014:
1. QB Robert Griffin III (2014 cap $5.76 million)—No, that’s not cheap and Griffin didn’t have a great year in 2013 but when you look at teams around the league who are juggling their caps to make room for monster charges for middling QB’s you realize that this is a good deal. If he even gets halfway back to his 2012 form he’ll be one of the best bargains in all of football.
2. RB Alfred Morris ($600,775)—His production over the last two years has been better than that of Arian Foster ($8.5 million) and Frank Gore ($6.45 million).
3. CB David Amerson ($875,205)—He’s not a star by any stretch but if he starts and lives up to some of his potential he represent a great deal for the Redskins
4. LB Ryan Kerrigan ($2.77 million)—Great pass rushers like Clay Matthews ($11.1 million) are very expensive and even so-so rushers like Paul Kruger ($8.1 million) are at a premium. The Redskins are very happy to have Kerrigan at the price they have him.
5. TE Jordan Reed ($642,278)—Some team is going to fork over about $10 million per year for the services of Jimmy Graham. He is likely to put up better numbers than Reed but the difference between the stats of the two won’t make up for the difference in the price.
—Redskins tight end Fred Davis was born on this date in 1986.
—It’s been 17 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 235 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Combine 35; NFL free agency 55; Offseason workouts start 82
In case you missed it
- Redskins are out of cap jail
- Redskins facing contract choices with Kerrigan
- Is a Super Bowl hero returning to the Redskins?
- Jordan Reed named to PFWA all-rookie team
- Redskins draft rewind: Maurice Hurt
- Five things the Redskins can learn from last weekend's games
- Reports: Redskins hire Brian Baker as OLB coach
- Reports: McVay finalizes deal to be offensive coordinator
- Redskins draft rewind: NT Chris Neild