Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, December 4, three days before the Washington Redskins play the St. Louis Rams at FedEx Field.
Three and out
1. It’s still kind of hard to believe that we’re talking about Colt McCoy starting at quarterback for the Redskins in Week 14 with both Robert Griffin III and Kirk Cousins healthy and able to play. Before the season started—before October, for that matter—I could see one of them playing his way out of the lineup. But both? No, certainly not to the point where McCoy would be considered to be the best alternative.
2. That’s not to say that McCoy doesn’t deserve to be the starter now. The only argument you can make that Griffin or Cousins should be playing is to give them some development reps for the future. While that’s a legitimate point, it’s inconsistent with Jay Gruden saying that he is going to play the players who give the team the best chance of winning. I don’t think even the most ardent supporters of Griffin or Cousins can reasonably dispute that McCoy gives the Redskins the best chance of winning right now.
3. I don’t know what McCoy’s long-term future is and I don’t think Gruden knows either. Right now he’s just trying to get through a season that likely has been considerably rougher at the QB position than he thought it would be. It would not surprise me if all three quarterbacks were back next year. Cousins is still on his rookie deal and cheap, Griffin will be hard to trade and it would be dumb to cut him with his guaranteed salary of $3.3 million, and McCoy is the only proven QB on the roster. McCoy probably will be back but . . .
Out: McCoy is a free agent this offseason, having signed a one-year deal last spring. That was a minimum-salary deal and it’s going to take more than that to get him to return. He will get other offers since teams are desperate for quarterbacks. I don’t see a bidding war breaking out and he likely will be inclined to return to Washington but it’s not a sure thing.
—Today’s schedule: Practice 10:30; Jay Gruden and Jim Haslett news conferences, open locker room player availability after practice, approx. 12:30
—Days until: Rams @ Redskins 3; Redskins @ Giants 10; 2015 NFL Draft 148
If you have any questions about what's going on at Redskins Park, hit me up in the comments. I'll answer all questions as soon as I can get to them. And I'm always on Twitter @Rich_TandlerCSN.
In case you missed it
- Gruden: “Our depth was really tested early”
- Redskins WR DeSean Jackson misses practice
- Gruden sees McCoy getting more confident
- Rams' Jeff Fisher says trading away RG3 pick an 'easy' decision
- Colt McCoy embracing leadership role as Redskins' starting QB
- Where will Redskins pick in the 2015 NFL Draft?
- Week 14 Power Ranks: Why do Redskins rise after loss?
- Where are we? The state of the Redskins, Week 14
- Redskins, Rams headed in opposite directions