After looking at the official list of cuts, the Redskins have 52 players on their roster.There is one spot open, perhaps for a player to be acquired in a trade or in a waiver claim.To be sure, there could be surprise or two still in waiting. And trades and waiver claims could further shake things up. But here is how it appears that it stands right now, with some quick analysis.SpecialistsIn (3):P Sav Rocca, LS Nick Sundberg, PK Billy CundiffThis was set earlier this week when Neil Rackers and Graham Gano were released and Cundiff was signed.DefenseDefensive backsCornerback (4): DeAngelo Hall, Josh Wilson, Cedric Griffin, Richard CrawfordSafety (5): Brandon Meriweather, Madieu Williams, DeJon Gomes, Reed Doughty, Jordan BernstineThe suspension of Tanard Jackson, who would have been one of the top three safeties, helped Bernstine land a spot. It is still somewhat odd that they are keeping four corners and five safeties and this is one of those areas where further moves could be made.LinebackersOutside (4):Brian Orakpo, Ryan Kerrigan, Rob Jackson, Chris WilsonInside (4):London Fletcher, Perry Riley, Lorenzo Alexander, Keenan RobinsonIt was thought to be a battle between Wilson and Markus White for the last roster spot and Wilson won it. Bryan Kehl also was a surprise release.Defensive lineIn (6): Stephen Bowen, Jarvis Jenkins, Adam Carriker, Kedric Golston, Barry Cofield, Chris BakerOffenseRunning backs(4):Roy Helu Jr., Evan Royster, Darrell Young, Alfred MorrisThe shocker of the day was the release of Tim Hightower. It was thought that the team would wait out until his knee, injured last October, got close to 100 percent.Tight ends(3):Fred Davis, Niles Paul, Logan PaulsenNo drama here after Chris Cooley was released on Tuesday.Wide receivers(7):Pierre Garon, Leonard Hankerson, Josh Morgan, Santana Moss, Aldrick Robinson, Brandon Banks, Dez BriscoeBanks will be more of a kick returner than a wide receiver so there are really six here. Briscoe beat out Anthony Armstrong for the last spot. Most thought Briscoe was the superior receiver during training camp and the preseason but there was a chance that Armstrongs special teams play could keep him on the roster.QuarterbacksIn (3):Robert Griffin III, Rex Grossman, Kirk CousinsRex Grossman was never, ever in any danger of being cut.Offensive lineIn (9):Trent Williams, Kory Lichtensteiger, Will Montgomery, Chris Chester, Tyler Polumbus, Josh LeRibeus, Jordan Black, Adam Gettis, Maurice HurtWhile none of the individual names here is a surprise the overall number is. The Redskins have kept eight offensive linemen the last two years. But they did get burned to an extent last year when a rash of injuries hit the line.
Alex Smith in, Kirk Cousins out.
That's certainly the headline, but there are plenty of other questions for the Redskins, particularly on the offensive side of the ball.
For the last two seasons, most of the questions going into OTAs for Washington came from the defensive side of the ball. After consecutive drafts with a first-round defensive lineman selection, the defense should be much improved.
On offense, however, there are a lot of new parts.
- The headliner - No position in sports is as important as NFL quarterback. This will be Alex Smith's first action in a Redskins uniform with media present. The 34-year-old veteran is coming off the best season of his career, and if he can continue that level of accuracy and play-making, the Redskins could be poised for an explosive year.
- The speedster - Washington's wideouts lacked separation in 2017. It was apparent through much of the year, and likely played a roll in some of Kirk Cousins' reluctance to make tough throws. Free agent addition Paul Richardson is supposed to help, immediately. He has elite deep speed and the 'Skins brass hopes he can bring a similar element to the offense that DeSean Jackson provided a few years back. Time to prove it Paul.
- The injuries - There are big reasons for concern, namely two very large men in Jordan Reed and Trent Williams. Reed will not participate in OTAs, and has been dealing with a foot/toe injury for the better part of a year. Williams, who seems highly unlikely to attend OTAs, underwent knee surgery in January. Beyond Smith, Reed and Williams are probably the two most important offensive players on the Redskins. OTAs aren't important, Reed and Williams participating, or even attending, OTAs is not important. Both men being healthy and ready to go in September is quite important.
- The Rookie - Has Derrius Guice become the most popular player on the Redskins? Maybe. The dynamic rookie running back, with an interesting draft weekend slide, has the charisma and ability to be a star. The "off-field concerns" that hurt his draft status seem like myths at this point, but there was some injury concern his junior season at LSU (see video above). Guice has an opportunity to be a huge part of the Redskins offense, and all eyes will be watching the rookie.
- The leap? - In 2017, Josh Doctson showed flashes of the player that warranted a first-round pick in 2016. Will 2018 be the year he proves it, week after week, game after game? Getting off to a good start with Smith should help, and even more important would be an injury-free offseason.
There are questions for the defense too, particularly at cornerback after Josh Norman, but this year, the offense has more new parts.
MORE REDSKINS NEWS:
— Contract years: Redskins face 5 tough decisions
— Dead Money: Trades, misses and mistakes hurt Redskins salary cap
Don't forget to subscribe to the #RedskinsTalk podcast, hosted by JP Finlay.
Click here for the #RedskinsTalk on Apple Podcasts, here for Google Play or press play below.
Those who are worried about Derrius Guice's character picked up some added evidence when, on Monday night, the Redskins rookie invited a bunch of fans to watch Avengers with him in Ashburn.
Man, what is this guy's deal?
First of all, not everyone likes superheroes. So how did he know that those who joined him actually wanted to see Avengers? Did he even ask? What if they wanted to see that really successful, really funny, really well-regarded Amy Schumer comedy, instead?
Avengers Infinity war @8:00 Alamo Drafthouse. If you tryna come— 5⃣ (@DhaSickest) May 21, 2018
Then, there's the issue of Guice buying tickets and concessions for those who showed up.
Also I have 50 tickets for the movie!— 5⃣ (@DhaSickest) May 21, 2018
Some people enjoy buying movie tickets — which are absolutely reasonably priced these days — and, as far as the concessions, seriously? Candy? Popcorn? He could've at least offered to buy something healthier, like broccoli. All movie theaters have broccoli.
Thankfully, those who took Guice up on his invitation weren't grateful for the experience at all, which hopefully means this will be the last time he orchestrates a dastardly deed like this one:
@DhaSickest you haven’t played a down of football in a Skins Jersey yet, but you are quickly climbing my list of favorite Redskins. You are already my favorite personality. It’s infectious my man and if your athletic ability is half of your personality, we have a HOFer #HTTR— Mark Harrell (@SkinsfanMH13) May 21, 2018
Yeah! This totally happened ! Great to meet you @DhaSickest ! What a neat thing to do treating fans to a movie with you! Love it! #httr #RedskinsTweetTeam @Redskins #yourock @AlamoDC #gonnabeafanfavorite pic.twitter.com/Kn4B7qHyxE— Suzie (@whosuzieq) May 22, 2018
I don’t know where to begin. Nothing but love and respect for him 🙏🏼 Guice invited fans out to watch the new Avengers movie with him. He paid for all 50 tickets to watch the movie, on top of taking any photos with fans, signing autographs, even made a quick video message for the kids I work with. On top of all that he paid for our food too. I’m a die hard Redskins fan, but I’ve never been this excited for a player since Sean Taylor 🐐 best believe Guice is my favorite Redskin #HTTR thanks for the awesome night man 💯✊🏼 Ay frfr Mike Mayock, what character issues? 😤🐸☕️
At this point, it's a surprise Guice didn't slide even farther down in the draft, like to the 15th round. Unbelievable.
- THAT TIME DERRIUS GUICE SAVED A WOMAN FROM A SMOKING CAR
- EXPLAINING THE REDSKINS' DEAD CAP MONEY SITUATION
- ONE LINE SUMMARIES OF EACH PLAYER ON DEFENSE