Redskins

Quick Links

Report: Redskins to face fine after failing to report concussion

shanahan-headset.jpg

Report: Redskins to face fine after failing to report concussion

This morning, it was announced that Robert Griffin III would indeed start for the Redskins as they host the Vikings. No surprises there, despite the star QB suffering a concussion in the 4th quarter of their loss to the Falcons last week.

And just as Washington looks to move forward from the defeat and the concussion to try and nab their first home win of the season, the NFL has a little surprise for the Skins.

Jay Glazer of FOX Sports reports that the Redskins will face a "hefty fine" for failing to disclose the full details of RG3's injury in that he suffered a concussion versus simply being just "shaken up" during the game. The team provided no details until after the game, when they said that Griffin had a "mild concussion."

Keep in mind, the NFL’s injury-reporting rules apply before a given game but also during the contest. 

According to ProFootballTalk.com, Mike Shanahan is well aware of the rules after a similar incident in Denver.  Nine years ago, Shanahan was fined for falsely reporting during a game that Broncos quarterback Jake Plummer had left with a concussion when the QB had in fact separated his separated shoulder.

Shanahan said Monday, that he believed he was congruent with NFL policy. The head coach then exlplained his use of the phrase 'shaken up' to the media, saying, “I’m not sure what the appropriate phrase is; I use it all the time. Guys look like he’s ‘shaken up.’ Now that doesn’t mean he has a concussion. But that is why they go through these procedures because they don’t let someone like me make those decisions, which they shouldn’t because we are not experts in that area. But the people who are experts, when you think a guy has something wrong with his head, we let the experts look at it.”

With the league's strong stance on the severity of concussions, this violation could prove to be costly for the Redskins. Glazer noting, "The NFL wants teams to immediately acknowledge a head injury to prevent concussed players from getting pushed back on field."

Glazer followed up with a tweet that indicates the young quarterback even feels responsible for the collusion,

"RG3 gathered entire squad together on Wednesday on field and apologized for putting himself in harms way, promised he'd protect himself better".

Quick Links

Derrius Guice shares workout video amid reports swirling about his health

Derrius Guice shares workout video amid reports swirling about his health

Many Redskins' fans became increasingly worried over the weekend about the health of running back Derrius Guice after a report came out that he suffered a hamstring injury during his rehab process from an ACL injury he suffered last August.

The report questioned Guice's availability for the start of Redskins' training camp, which begins on July 25.

In response to the report, Guice tweeted: "I don’t listen to the noise. I know what’s going on with me." He has since deleted his Twitter account.

But Guice is still an active user on Snapchat, and took to the platform on Monday to share footage of himself working out. The second-year running back shared video taken of him performing a number of drills, many of which required him to change direction quickly and test his hamstring, as well as his knee.

Guice even captioned one of the videos "Hamstring who," with several eyes emojis attached to the caption. Based on his caption, Guice does not appear to seem concerned that this latest report will affect his status for the upcoming season.

Prior to his ACL injury last August, Guice showed plenty of promise during training camp and the preseason. 

At this point, Redskins fans just want Guice to be healthy and ready for Week 1 and showcase the talent that earned him an All-SEC honor at LSU.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS:

Quick Links

Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott has said privately he will hold out from training camp, per report

elliott_face_usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports Images

Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott has said privately he will hold out from training camp, per report

Since entering the NFL in 2016, Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has established himself as one of the elite rushers in the NFL.

Now, he wants to be paid like it.

Elliott, who has two years remaining on his rookie deal, has privately said he plans on holding out from training camp until he receives a new deal, per ProFootballTalk.

Slated to make just $3.5 million in 2019, Elliott is one of the most underpaid players in all of football. He's set to make $9.09 million in 2020, the final year of his rookie deal.

Dallas has put off extension talks with Elliott simply because he's still under contract for two more seasons, per the report.

Quarterback Dak Prescott and wide receiver Amari Cooper are both free agents after the season, and the Cowboys would like to keep both at all costs, ProFootballTalk said. Additionally, Dallas just signed defensive end Demarcus Lawrence to a five-year, $105 million contract extension this offseason.

Should he not receive a contract extension, Elliott could face a situation similar to what Demarco Murray had with the Cowboys in 2014. Murray set a franchise record for most rushing yards in a season, yet Dallas still chose to let him walk in free agency.

Elliott's not the only star running back threatening to holdout this offseason. Los Angeles Chargers' Melvin Gordon has publicly stated he will skip training camp until he gets a new deal and is not afraid to miss regular-season games, similar to what Le'Veon Bell did last year with the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

Since entering the NFL in 2016, Elliott has led the NFL in rushing twice. His 4,048 total rushing yards over the past three seasons are the most in the NFL, and he has over 600 more rushing yards than Los Angeles Rams' Todd Gurley, the next most rushing yards over that span.

Whether he actually holds out or whether the Cowboys turn their attention to extending their star running back will be seen in the coming weeks.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS: