Redskins

Quick Links

Reports: Redskins sign safety Josh Evans, move David Bruton to injured reserve

Reports: Redskins sign safety Josh Evans, move David Bruton to injured reserve

The Redskins are busy making moves at the safety position.

Earlier in the day it was reported that the Redskins signed former Pro Bowl safety Donte Whiter. Now they have signed former Jaguars safety Josh Evans to the roster and have moved David Bruton, who started the first four games of the season at strong safety, to injured reserve.

Evans was a sixth-round pick for Jacksonville in the 2013 draft. In 36 starts for the Jags, Evans piled up 145 tackles to go with five passes defensed and three fumble recoveries.

Evans has good size at 6-foot-1, 207 lbs., a trait Scot McCloughan likes in his secondary. One more thing working for Evans: versatility. He played both strong and free safety positions in Jacksonville.

Evans was out stretching with the Redskins at the start of practice and Whitner emerged from the locker room soon after practice started. Bruton going on injured reserve was first reported by the Washington Post.

Bruton left the Redskins’ game against the Browns last Sunday in the third quarter and after the game Jay Gruden announced that he was in the concussion protocol.

Earlier today it was reported that the Redskins had released DL Kendall Reyes. That created a roster spot for Whitner. 

Quick Links

Derrius Guice shares workout video amid reports swirling about his health

Derrius Guice shares workout video amid reports swirling about his health

Many Redskins' fans became increasingly worried over the weekend about the health of running back Derrius Guice after a report came out that he suffered a hamstring injury during his rehab process from an ACL injury he suffered last August.

The report questioned Guice's availability for the start of Redskins' training camp, which begins on July 25.

In response to the report, Guice tweeted: "I don’t listen to the noise. I know what’s going on with me." He has since deleted his Twitter account.

But Guice is still an active user on Snapchat, and took to the platform on Monday to share footage of himself working out. The second-year running back shared video taken of him performing a number of drills, many of which required him to change direction quickly and test his hamstring, as well as his knee.

Guice even captioned one of the videos "Hamstring who," with several eyes emojis attached to the caption. Based on his caption, Guice does not appear to seem concerned that this latest report will affect his status for the upcoming season.

Prior to his ACL injury last August, Guice showed plenty of promise during training camp and the preseason. 

At this point, Redskins fans just want Guice to be healthy and ready for Week 1 and showcase the talent that earned him an All-SEC honor at LSU.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS:

Quick Links

Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott has said privately he will hold out from training camp, per report

elliott_face_usat.jpg
USA TODAY Sports Images

Cowboys' Ezekiel Elliott has said privately he will hold out from training camp, per report

Since entering the NFL in 2016, Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott has established himself as one of the elite rushers in the NFL.

Now, he wants to be paid like it.

Elliott, who has two years remaining on his rookie deal, has privately said he plans on holding out from training camp until he receives a new deal, per ProFootballTalk.

Slated to make just $3.5 million in 2019, Elliott is one of the most underpaid players in all of football. He's set to make $9.09 million in 2020, the final year of his rookie deal.

Dallas has put off extension talks with Elliott simply because he's still under contract for two more seasons, per the report.

Quarterback Dak Prescott and wide receiver Amari Cooper are both free agents after the season, and the Cowboys would like to keep both at all costs, ProFootballTalk said. Additionally, Dallas just signed defensive end Demarcus Lawrence to a five-year, $105 million contract extension this offseason.

Should he not receive a contract extension, Elliott could face a situation similar to what Demarco Murray had with the Cowboys in 2014. Murray set a franchise record for most rushing yards in a season, yet Dallas still chose to let him walk in free agency.

Elliott's not the only star running back threatening to holdout this offseason. Los Angeles Chargers' Melvin Gordon has publicly stated he will skip training camp until he gets a new deal and is not afraid to miss regular-season games, similar to what Le'Veon Bell did last year with the Pittsburgh Steelers. 

Since entering the NFL in 2016, Elliott has led the NFL in rushing twice. His 4,048 total rushing yards over the past three seasons are the most in the NFL, and he has over 600 more rushing yards than Los Angeles Rams' Todd Gurley, the next most rushing yards over that span.

Whether he actually holds out or whether the Cowboys turn their attention to extending their star running back will be seen in the coming weeks.

MORE REDSKINS NEWS: