The Redskins have a substantial amount of salary cap space and a ton of needs to fill. During the NFL playoffs, CSN Redskins Insiders Rich Tandler and JP Finlay will take a game by game look at the best unrestricted free agent prospects playing for each team.
The first NFC Wild Card matchup pits the Lions against the Seahawks, and JP Finlay takes a look at possible fits.
- Rafael Bush - The Redskins need help at safety, a lot of it. Bush is not the answer to the Redskins woes in the back of the secondary, but he's a veteran with an ability to make plays that could provide good depth. On the season, Bush started four games, made two interceptions, including a Pick 6, to go with a sack, three passes defensed and 31 tackles. He won't break the bank either; he played this season in Detroit on a one-year deal worth $1.25 million.
- Anquan Boldin - It's not a situation Redskins fans want to envision, but it's entirely possible both Pierre Garçon and DeSean Jackson walk away from the team via free agency. If that happens, a veteran like Boldin on a team-friendly deal could help bridge some of the gap. Boldin in no way replaces Jackson, but he could bring some of the toughness on 3rd downs that Garçon provided for the Skins, as well as good hands and a crisp route runner. His stats have been on a steady decline for two seasons, and Boldin will turn 37 in October, but this is still a guy who caught nearly 70 passes on a playoff team in 2016.
- Tony McDaniel - Pardon this announcement from Captain Obvious: The Redskins need to rebuild their defensive line. McDaniel is not the player to rebuild the defensive line, but he could be an asset for Washington as a depth player in the trenches. He turns 32 in two weeks, but he's also 6-foot-7 and a contributor to the stout Seahawks defense. McDaniel had an overall positive rating from Pro Football Focus this season in 484 snaps; he didn't provide much in pass rush but was able to help against the run. He won't play against Detroit, however, as he's dealing with a concussion.
- Jeron Johnson - He's a free agent, but we've seen this movie before.
- Somebody else - The Seahawks have 13 unrestricted free agents, and odds are McCloughan might bring one to Washington. Check out their full list here.
Want more Redskins? Check out @JPFinlayCSN for live updates or click here for the #RedskinsTalk Podcast on iTunes, here for Google Play or press play below. Don't forget to subscribe!