The roster shuffling and transactions appear to be complete for the Wizards, who are unlikely to make any other moves before they reconvene in a few months for training camp for the 2015-16 season. All 15 roster spots have been settled with guaranteed deals though they can carry as many as 20 in the offseason.
The only big-ticket item left is Bradley Beal's extension, which can be signed up until the start of the season. If not, the matter has to be tabled until next summer when he becomes a restricted free agent. According to persons with knowledge of the situation on both sides late Tuesday night, they're still talking but not close to reaching terms just yet.
The prevailing sentiment is that they'll get there. Beal has had three stress "reactions" to his lower right leg, in the same non-weight bearing bone, in each of his three seasons in Washington. That reality will require some assurances for the Wizards, who'll want some sort of out-clause in a deal of any length. If Beal takes short money with the salary cap expected to reset at $108 million two years from now ($38 million above this season), he'll want an out-clause, too.
- First or second week of August: The NBA is expected to release the regular-season schedule. This typically is a Wednesday or Thursday.
- Sept. 8: This is the day after Labor Day. Players will start returning to D.C. to work out with each other. Others have gone in and out of town all summer for individual work with coaches.
- Sept. 28: Media Day will be held on the practice court at Verizon Center.
- Sept. 29: Training camp begins. Where still has to be determined. Last year it was at Verizon because the Wizards' usual spot at the Patriot Center on the campus of George Mason in Fairfax, Va., was no longer a viable option. The nearby accommodations (there was a hotel walking distance from the venue) closed and there hasn't been a replacement.
- First/second week of October: After training camp gets underway -- some teams with international games will have started sooner -- preseason games begin leading up to the regular-season tip which typically is at the end of the month/start of the following month.
MORE WIZARDS: New Wizards acquisition to miss 3-4 months