It's almost that time of year again when the entire basketball community focuses its collective attention on the plastic laminated cards inside of a briefcase.
Fourteen teams, one night in Chicago, and a shot at the first pick in the 2019 NBA Draft.
The 2019 NBA Draft Lottery will take place on Tuesday, May 14 and the 14 franchises that missed the NBA Playoffs will find out which order they will select in during June's draft.
The format has been altered for 2019, but the ideology behind the method has stayed true.
This year there is a new system factoring into the pick order. The worst three teams in the NBA all will have the same odds (14 percent) to get the top pick in the draft. This is the first year under this structure is used to prevent teams from entirely tanking at the end of the year. The odds descend from there as the teams' records get better in relation to their placement in the standings. The fourth-worst team, the Chicago Bulls (22-60) will have a 12.5 percent chance at the top pick.
After four ping pong balls are chosen at random, the combination will correspond to one of the 14 teams in the running. This process then repeats itself three more times until the top four have been chosen. After the top 4 teams have been chosen, the remaining 12 are selected in reverse order based on team records.
The odds for the top pick are as follows.
NBA Draft Lottery Probabilities:
1. New York Knicks (17-65) - 14 percent
2. Cleveland Cavaliers (19-63) - 14 percent
3. Phoenix Suns (19-63) - 14 percent
4. Chicago Bulls (22-60) - 12.5 percent
5. Atlanta Hawks (29-53) - 10.5 percent
6. Washington Wizards (32-50) - 9 percent
7. New Orleans Pelicans (33-49) - 6 percent
8. Memphis Grizzlies (33-49) - 6 percent
9. Dallas Mavericks (33-49) - 6 percent
10. Minnesota Timberwolves (36-46) - 3 percent
11. Los Angeles Lakers (37-45) - 2 percent
12. Charlotte Hornets (39-43) - 1 percent
13. Miami Heat (39-43) - 1 percent
14. Sacramento Kings (39-43) - 1 percent
The 2019 NBA Draft Lottery will be televised live on ESPN at 8:30 p.m. ET. From 7:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., tune into our "Wizards On The Clock" lottery special on NBC Sports Washington and the MyTeams app. Our live coverage will continue exclusively on the MyTeams app from 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. ET.
Don't have the MyTeams app yet? Click here to download.
MORE WIZARDS NEWS: