Wizards

Wright, George Mason beat William & Mary 73-66

Wright, George Mason beat William & Mary 73-66

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (AP) Sherrod Wright scored a career-high 28 points as George Mason rallied in the second half to beat William & Mary 73-66 Saturday in a Colonial Athletic Association matchup.

Corey Edwards added 10 points for the Patriots (8-6, 1-1).

Trailing at halftime 37-33, George Mason opened the second half on a 12-6 run to take a 45-43 lead with 12:30 left to play. Wright's steal and fast-break layup capped the run for the Patriots.

George Mason shot 59.1 percent (13 for 22) in the second half.

After Brandon Bitt's 3-pointer tied the game at 61 with 3:04 remaining, two three-point plays by Johnny Williams and Wright helped push the Patriots ahead 68-61 with 1:54 remaining.

Corey Edwards and Jonathan Arledge made five free throws for George Mason in the final minute to seal the victory.

Tim Rusthoven led William & Mary (7-6, 1-1) with 19 points and 11 rebounds.

Quick Links

Ish Smith says the food hasn't been bad in the NBA bubble

Ish Smith says the food hasn't been bad in the NBA bubble

Much has been made about the food provided to players so far in the NBA bubble, particularly during the first phase of arrival where they each quarantined for 36 hours. What has been dubbed as 'bubble grub' doesn't look all that appetizing, or at least like the food millionaires are used to.

For Wizards point guard Ish Smith, though, it's no big deal at all. He was asked about the food and gave the type of humble, down-to-earth answer you would expect from him.

"I'm okay. I'm low maintenance and I'm thankful for anything and everything. You're asking the wrong person. You might have to ask somebody else who lives a little bit more of a high maintenance life," he said. "For me, I'm thankful, I'm blessed. They bring us food, we eat it. I have no problems."

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE WIZARDS TALK PODCAST

Smith, 32, has played 10 seasons in the NBA, but you wouldn't know it when talking to him. He seems to have no ego, which might be the result of going undrafted and never being guaranteed anything throughout his career.

Smith doesn't seem to be fazed by any of the elements in Orlando that are making other players uncomfortable. He happens to really, really like going to Disney World, so maybe that helps.

He also just seems to be taking a very patient approach to the NBA's restart, knowing the league is doing what they can to make it all work.

"Obviously, we're in a situation where it's unfamiliar that we're not used to. But we've gotta adjust and kind of roll with the punches. It hasn't been bad. I've got no complaints," he said.

Stay connected to the Wizards with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE WIZARDS NEWS:

Quick Links

Report: 6 Nationals among players MLB didn't test for COVID-19 before flight from Dominican Republic

Report: 6 Nationals among players MLB didn't test for COVID-19 before flight from Dominican Republic

One of two flights chartered by Major League Baseball from the Dominican Republic to Miami carried multiple players that tested positive for the coronavirus after arriving in the U.S., The Washington Post reported Thursday evening. None of the more than 160 players and staff members were tested by MLB for the disease prior to flying.

Among the passengers on those flights—which flew out of Santo Domingo on July 1—were Nationals players Juan Soto, Victor Robles, Wander Suero and Fernando Abad as well as two of their prospects in Luis Garcia and Joan Adon. All six players are isolating in D.C. and one of them, The Post reported, tested positive for the coronavirus during intake screening July 2.

The Nationals announced Sunday that two players had tested positive upon arriving to D.C. and were in isolation. In addition to the six players who flew from the D.R., Howie Kendrick, Starlin Castro and Roenis Elías were absent from practice at Nationals Park this week. Although Castro returned to the field Thursday, Washington has yet to give any updates on the remaining players not cleared for play.

RELATED: MIKE RIZZO SAYS ‘I COULDN’T LIVE WITH MYSELF IF WE WENT ON HAPHAZARDLY’

“We’re still waiting to hear about those other guys,” manager Davey Martinez said in a Zoom press conference Thursday. “But they’re working diligently, MLB and our medical staff, to get those guys cleared. Hopefully, we’ll get them soon.”

The lack of testing prior to those flights was a result of insufficient resources in the D.R. to accommodate the number of people who were to board, The Post reported. The news comes three days after the Nationals opted to cancel practice due to test results taking over 72 hours to come in. General manager Mike Rizzo issued a strong statement that afternoon stressing the importance of quick testing.

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO THE NATIONALS TALK PODCAST

“We cannot have our players and staff work at risk,” Rizzo wrote. “We will not sacrifice the health and safety of our players, staff and their families.  Without accurate and timely testing it is simply not safe for us to continue with Summer Camp.  Major League Baseball needs to work quickly to resolve issues with their process and their lab.  Otherwise, Summer Camp and the 2020 Season are at risk.”

MLB’s 2020 season is scheduled to begin July 23, when the Nationals are set to host the New York Yankees on Opening Night.

Stay connected to the Nationals with the MyTeams app. Click here to download for comprehensive coverage of your teams.

MORE NATIONALS NEWS: