After confusion over technical fouls in Game 4, refs explain what happened

After confusion over technical fouls in Game 4, refs explain what happened

CLEVELAND -- Draymond Green was assessed with a technical foul in the first quarter of Game 4 Friday night that disappeared sometime in the third quarter.

Which is when Green was assessed with a technical that, by all appearances, was his second and thereby disqualifying foul.

That’s when things turned weird.

Just when it seemed Green would be ejected the officiating crew of Mike Callahan (lead), Marc Davis and John Goble stepped in to convey that Green’s first technical -- as stated on the original game book -- actually was assessed to Warriors coach Steve Kerr.

Green and the officials may have been the only men during a 137-116 Cleveland win at Quicken Loans Arena to be fully aware of that.

“When the technical foul was called on Draymond Green, we reported it to the (scorer’s) table,” Callahan told a pool reporter. “The table informed us that it was his second technical foul and ejected. We informed the table that it was not his second technical foul.”

Green said he knew all along.

“Because after the first tech on Steve, which I didn’t understand, Mike Callahan came up to John and asked him who the tech was on, and he said Kerr,” he said. “So I knew I didn’t have a technical foul.

“But I’m still trying to figure out why did I get the ‘second’ one.”

It was all very confusing, and afterward no less so to perhaps everyone beyond Green and the officiating crew.

Goble and Callahan shared blame for the puzzling sequence.

Said Goble: “After calling the loose-ball foul on Draymond Green (in the first quarter), I noticed the reaction by Coach Kerr and then assessed a technical foul. In the moment, I thought I had verbalized to the table that the technical foul as on Coach Kerr. After looking at the video, I did not verbalize (that) to the table and looking at video, I should have done a better job of making sure that the table knew the technical foul as on Coach Kerr.”

Said Callahan: “The procedure is to advise the table who the technical foul is on and with the player we give a number. With a coach or a trainer, we just verbalize and at that time we should listen to the PA announcer to who it is on. At that time, we did not do a very good job of listening to the PA announcer and we did not hear him announce it. I take full responsibility for that.”

In real time, though, both teams and everyone in the arena were clueless.

“I thought they called it on Draymond; I thought I deserved it,” Kerr said of the first-quarter call. “But I thought I heard the PA announcer say that it was on Draymond. So then I thought on the second one Draymond was going to get kicked out. But they explained that the first one was on me.”

Cavaliers coach Tyronn Lue also seemed mystified.

“Mike Callahan told me that the first one they called was on Steve Kerr,” Lue said. “And I said, ‘Well, it's right here on the sheet that it was on Draymond, and our scorers’ people said the same thing.’

“But evidently he said no, it was on Steve Kerr, the first one. So that was the explanation.”

In a game in which 51 personal fouls and seven technical fouls were called, Green remained on the floor.

“He told me to keep playing,” Green said of Davis. “I asked him, and he told me to keep playing . . . It’s crazy to think to think he thought that was my second technical foul and I would get a technical foul for that.”

To recap, Green stayed in the game and so did Kerr. The entire episode was strange, as was much of the officiating during the game. Given the way the teams performed, though, it had real no influence on the outcome.

Curry out at least three weeks with Grade 2 MCL sprain

Curry out at least three weeks with Grade 2 MCL sprain

Stephen Curry will be reevaluated in three weeks after an MRI on Saturday revealed that the Warriors point guard suffered a Grade 2 sprain of his left MCL, the Warriors announced on Saturday. 

Curry sprained his left MCL with 3:09 remaining in the third quarter of Friday night's win over the Atlanta Hawks. Teammate JaVale McGee landed awkwardly on the two-time MVP's left leg, and Curry limped to the bench. He then headed to the locker room where he received further treatment, and did not return. 

Curry has missed 21 of the team’s 71 games this season. Before Friday, he missed the previous six games after spraining his right ankle against the San Antonio Spurs on March 2. 

Back-to-back ankle and knee injuries previously dogged Curry in the 2016 postseason. In his first game back from a right ankle sprain in the first round against the Houston Rockets, Curry suffered a Grade 1 right MCL sprain, and missed the next four games. 

Hopeful night at Oracle turns solemn after Curry sprains left MCL

Hopeful night at Oracle turns solemn after Curry sprains left MCL

OAKLAND -- The words came dribbling out slowly, ruefully and with more than a trace of despair.

JaVale McGee, the 7-foot accidental villain, could barely speak about his role Friday night in the moment that left the Warriors pleading for mercy while their fans were screaming at the sky.

Stephen Curry, returning to the lineup after a six-game absence due to a right ankle sprain, lasted 25 minutes before sustaining another injury, this one a sprain to his left MCL. The two-time MVP will undergo an MRI test Saturday.

“I pray to God,” McGee said, “that nothing’s wrong with him.”

The injury occurred with 3:09 left in the third quarter. After biting on a pump fake by Atlanta forward Mike Muscala, McGee wound up tumbling backward, with his 270 pounds landing directly at the front Curry legs. Curry immediately started limping away, with the sellout crowd at Oracle Arena gasping in horror.

“I was trying to block a shot,” McGee said beneath a vacant stare, “and I ran into him.”

That’s the kind of month it has been for the Warriors. All four of their All-Stars have been knocked out of action by an array of injuries.

Curry went down March 8 after tweaking his surgically repaired right ankle. Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson were injured March 11 at Minnesota, Durant sustaining a rib cartilage injury after taking a elbow from 7-foot Timberwolves center Karl-Anthony Towns and Thompson spraining his right thumb after making contact with Minnesota point guard Jeff Teague.

Draymond Green began the next week as the team’s only healthy All-Star, a distinction that lasted eight days before he was struck down with a pelvic contusion Monday night in San Antonio.

“It’s like a juju or something on us,” McGee said. “I’ve never been part of a team where everybody just got injured, especially the starters. It’s kind of scary to tell the truth.”

Durant, Thompson and Green were unavailable Friday night, which is why Curry’s return was so encouraging. After a 2-point first quarter during which he went 1-of-6 from the floor, Curry found his stroke and over his next 16 minutes scored 27 points on 9-of-12 shooting.

Then came the most frightening moment of the night, throwing a massive damper on a 106-94 victory.

“I assumed it was his ankle when he came out hobbling and I found it was his knee,” coach Steve Kerr said. “We will see what the MRI says tomorrow.

“There is not a whole lot we can do or predict. It’s kind of a strange, cruel twist of fate. He rehabs his ankle for the last couple of weeks and gets that strong and the knee goes. We’ll see what happens. Fingers crossed.”

The Warriors came out of the All-Star break fairly healthy and ready to make a run at the No. 1 overall seed. They’ve achieved it in each of the last three seasons, coming away with two championships.

Hopes of getting there this season have disappeared under a pile of injuries, all of them coming over the last 16 days. As of late Friday night, there was no knowing how serious Curry’s injury is, or how long he might be out.

What’s known is that it was another in a succession of frightful moments.

“It’s a little somber in there,” Kerr said of the locker room. “Everybody feels for Steph. But it’s more a case of just keep going and keep pushing forward. We’ll come into tomorrow, short practice and get ready for Utah.”

That’s at the request of the schedule. That’s a dose of NBA reality on a grim night.

McGee didn’t seem ready for that. He was feeling awful about the entire episode.

“I can’t describe it,” he said of the play that followed everyone into the night. “Everybody has a TV. I fell into him and . . . I know y’all (reporters) don’t think I’m standing here like, ‘Yes, I fell into him.’

“That’s a star player. Of course, we don’t want him to be injured, especially after he came back. So I feel very bad for the fact that I was a part of that.”

McGee said he hopes Curry is out no more than a couple games.

The Warriors would be ever so pleased if it’s a couple weeks. They want to be whole for the postseason,, the only season by which they will be measured and a season that, on this night, nobody was of a mood to visualize.