Red Sox

Crawford's wrist 'fine,' waiting on elbow

686238.jpg

Crawford's wrist 'fine,' waiting on elbow

BOSTON Left fielder Carl Crawford said his left wrist, on which he had surgery in mid-January, is fine, but hes waiting for his left elbow to heal. Crawford was moved from the 15-day to the 60-day disabled list on May 2.

Right now Im just still letting it rest up, trying to do little exercises with it right now, just waiting for the clearance from the doctor basically, Crawford said.

The pain from the shot just went away so now I think were going into another transition where we might start doing exercises with it. I still havent been able to throw yet. Im still a couple of weeks from throwing.

He may need to throw for a couple of weeks to get back to full health, but he is not sure.

In an ideal situation, yes, but I can't honestly tell you when, he said.

I think I should start hitting in a couple of weeks, pretty soon. I think Im going to actually start hitting before I throw.

Hes not sure of the progression once he does start throwing.

I hope its fast but I really dont know, he said. Im kind of going on what the doctors, whatever kind of program they make for me Im just going to try to follow that and let them know how I feel afterwards. But I hope its a quick one.

The good news is his wrist is healthy.

The wrist is doing fine, knock on wood, he said. Hopefully I dont have any more setbacks with that, but the wrist is actually feeling real good. The wrist is ready to go. Thats what stinks about this whole process: the wrist finally got well and I had this setback. So if the elbow was fine, Id be ready to go.

I definitely want to be out there. No secret about that but I just kind of have to go at the pace that they have me go. I can't go too fast or anything like that. I just have to be patient.

You just want to at least be able to see the team all together so you could see what we can do together but its frustrating not having everybody out there knowing what a lot of guys could be doing and we could help the team, so its a little frustrating."

Report: Ex-Red Sox reliever Reed gets deal with Twins

red_sox_addison_reed_080317.jpg

Report: Ex-Red Sox reliever Reed gets deal with Twins

He was dubbed "Closer B" by Red Sox manager John Farrell when acquired at the trade deadline last summer, now Addison Reed is "Closer B Gone"...to the Twins.

The right-handed reliever, 29, has agreed to a two-year, $16.75 million free-agent deal with Minnesota, pending a physical, Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports and TheAthletic.com reports. 

Reed began last season with the Mets and had 19 saves and a 2.57 ERA before being traded to the Red Sox, where he had a 3.33 ERA in 29 games (27 innings) without a save as a setup man for Craig Kimbrell.  
 

Red Sox, Mookie Betts far apart on salary and heading toward arbitration

red-sox-mookie-betts.jpg

Red Sox, Mookie Betts far apart on salary and heading toward arbitration

The Red Sox and star right fielder Mookie Betts intend to go to an arbitration hearing in February, and there were signs this was coming even a year ago.

Betts was the only arbitration-eligible player on the Red Sox who did not settle on a contract with the team on Friday, when a deadline arrived for all teams and arbitration-eligible players to exchange 2018 salary figures. Jackie Bradley Jr., Xander Bogaerts and Drew Pomeranz were the biggest names to avoid hearings.

Betts filed for a $10.5 million salary and the Red Sox filed at $7.5 million.  Betts and the Red Sox agreed previously that if no figure could be settled on by the Friday deadline, they would proceed to a hearing, assistant general manager Brian O'Halloran said. 

A three-person panel of arbitrators therefore is set to determine what Betts makes in 2018: either the $7.5 million figure the Sox filed or the $10.5 million figure Betts' camp submitted. The arbitrators won't settle on a midpoint for the parties. 

O'Halloran noted to the Globe there are no hard feelings involved.

Nonetheless, such a large gap would seem to provide incentive to settle. The parties technically could still decide to do so, but that would take a change of course from the present plan. The idea was to settle any time before Friday, and they did not. 

Betts is asking for near-record money for a first-year arbitration eligible player. Kris Bryant set the record Friday with a $10.85 million settlement.

The hearings can be difficult for player-team relations because teams have to make the case in front of the player that he is worth less money than he wants.

Betts, 25, hit .264, with 24 homers, 102 RBI, 25 stolen bases and a .803 OPS in 2017, numbers that fell from his American League MVP runner-up performance in 2016, but were nonetheless very strong and coupled with first-rate defense.

This offseason is Betts' first of arbitration eligibility. In the first three years of service time in a players' career, there's no recourse if you don't like the salary a team is offering. Teams can pay players anything at league minimum or above. 

The only option a player has in those first three years is to make a stand on principle: you can force the team to technically "renew" your salary, which notes to everyone that you did not agree to the salary. Betts and his agents did that in 2017 when the Sox paid him $950,000, a very high amount relative to most contract renewals.

Some of the standard thinking behind forcing a team to renew a contract is that if an arbitration case comes up down the road — and one now looms for Betts — it's supposed to show the arbitrators that the player felt even in seasons past, he was underpaid.

Still, the Sox may have effectively combatted that perception by paying Betts almost $1 million on a renewal. Per USA Today, that $950,000 agreement in 2017 was "the second-highest one-year deal ever for a non-arbitration-eligible player with two-plus years of big league service." Mike Trout got $1 million in 2014.