Red Sox

Red Sox fortify bullpen, but swing-and-miss on adding a bat for left field

Red Sox fortify bullpen, but swing-and-miss on adding a bat for left field

SEATTLE -- After all the back-and-forth and proposals offered and received, the Red Sox walked away from the final day of the trade deadline with just one bullpen piece, landing lefty reliever Fernando Abad from Minnesota in exchange for Pat Light.

Adding Abad to the bullpen mix gives manager John Farrell another match-up option. Abad, 30, has been effective against hitters from both sides of the plate, but over the last three years, has established himself as one of the more reliable lefty relievers in the game.

"He gives us depth from the lefthanded side,'' said Farrell. "He's had a very strong year. He's been tough against lefthanded hitters. He's also had success against righthanders. He's pitched late in ballgames.

"We tried to fortify the back end (of the bullpen) as much as possible, to give us as many options as we can.''

Abad was scheduled to land in Seattle Monday night, and join the Red Sox Tuesday.

As often happens at the deadline, however, the day was marked as much by what the Sox were unable to do as much as what they did. The Sox had other targets at the deadline, but in those instances, the asking price proved prohibitive.

"We were looking to get better in any way we could,'' said president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski. "There was a lot of active conversations. I'd say there were (talks) with about 20 (clubs), so there were a lot of active conversations. We had some very active conversations right to the very end with some people.''

At recently as late Monday afternoon, the Red Sox were involved in serious talks for veteran outfielder/DH Carlos Beltran.

According to a source familiar with the talks, the Yankees asked for two "second-tier'' prospects -- i.e. not from among Yoan Moncada, Andrew Benintendi, Michael Kopech and Rafael Devers. The Sox were said to be willing to move one of the players, but not both.

The Sox envisioned Beltran playing some left field and serving as the DH when David Ortiz needed some time off. Ultimately, the Yankees sent Beltran to the Texas Rangers in exchange for a package of prospects, led by former first-round pick pitcher Dillon Tate.

The Sox also numerous discussions about Chicago White Sox pitcher Chris Sale, though president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski, contradicting several reports, said the two clubs last spoke on Friday.

Another source maintained that the level of discussions between the teams on Sale had been overstated - perhaps by the White Sox to gain leverage in the market.

"We were open-minded to a lot of different things,'' said Dombrowski. " 'This makes us better...this allows us to do that...' So those were the kind of conversations we had. And really, we had a lot of those type of conversations.

"But what we did over the last month...if we had walked in today and said, 'OK, we've acquired (Drew) Pomeranz, (Aaron) Hill, (Brad) Ziegler and Abad, people would have said, 'Wow - I can't believe how much they did.' But we spaced it over it a time period, so it doesn't have the same oomph. But we're very happy with where we are.''

Sean McAdam can be followed on Twitter: @Sean_McAdam

Red Sox minor leaguer Oscar Hernandez suspended for second positive drug test

Red Sox minor leaguer Oscar Hernandez suspended for second positive drug test

Red Sox minor league catcher Oscar Hernandez has been handed a 50-game suspension for a second positive test for a drug of abuse, our own Evan Drellich reports.

Hernandez signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox in January and currently is on the Triple-A Pawtucket roster. The 24-year-old will be able to return in late May.





Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

File Photo

Wright suspended 15 games for violation of domestic-violence policy

Red Sox pitcher Steven Wright will be suspended 15 games for violating MLB’s domestic violence policy, NBC Sports Boston has learned. The league is set to make the announcement Friday.

Wright, working his way back from right knee surgery, has to serve the suspension when healthy. Potential time on the disabled list to begin the season would not count. Wright is not expected to appeal.

Wright was arrested at his Tennessee home in December following an incident involving his wife, Shannon. Wright was charged with domestic assault and preventing a 911 call, which are misdemeanors in Tennessee, and released on a $2,500 bond.

The case in December was retired by the Williamson County courthouse. If Wright commits no other offenses for a 12-month span, the charges are expected to be dropped.

Fifteen games matches the lowest suspension MLB has given out in relation to a domestic violence case since the league and players union agreed to a policy in 2015. Mets pitcher Jeurys Familia was suspended 15 games in March 2017.

"It's a situation that, it sucks not only for me, but for my family, for the team," Wright told reporters in Florida on Thursday. "But I try not to think about it. When MLB comes out with their discipline, or if there's going to be discipline or not, it's just going to go from there."

Wright said this spring that he did not harm his wife.

“We’ve been going to counseling. We’ve been working through it,” Wright said. “We’ve been trying to do as much as we can to put it past us, but it’s hard. Because MLB is doing their investigation and it’s in the limelight. It’s really hard on a personal level to get past something that’s constantly being thrown at you. But I did it to myself. It’s one of those things that I’ve got to live with the consequences that came from my actions that night.”