BOSTON -- The Boston Bruins werent expected to make a big splash during this years NHL trade deadline and they lived up to expectations.
The Bruins reacquired one of their former players, forward Brian Rolston, along with ex-Boston College star Mike Mottau from the New York Islanders for fringe prospects Yannick Riendeau and Marc Cantin. The B's also nabbed stay-at-home defenseman and shot-blocking enthusiast Greg Zanon from the Minnesota Wild. Mottau had missed 26 games with a concussion before returning last weekend to play against the Ottawa Senators on Sunday, and had been out since the end of December with the head injury. TSN first reported that Steve Kampfer is headed to Minnesota in exchange for Zanon, and Kampfer confirmed it to CSNNE.com via a text message following the deadline.
To make room on the roster for the newly acquired players, the Bruins assigned Andrew Bodnarchuk, Carter Camper and Max Sauve to Providence. The B's had just recalled Bodnarchuk and Sauve earlier Monday, and Camper scored his first NHL goal Saturday night in Ottawa.
The moves wont have anybody screaming out about a guaranteed Stanley Cup title, but they addressed some depth issues caused by injuries over the last few months. Bruins general manager Peter Chiarelli was dealing with a trade market full of premium asking prices, and he chose not to bend.All three players acquired in the deal add up to a salary cap hit of roughly 7.8 million for this season and will be unrestricted free agents after the season after the year is over.
The one thing that can said about the Bs moves: The players acquired are better than the solutions sitting and waiting in Providence level. Carter Camper, Max Sauve and Andrew Bodnarchuk were all assigned to the Providence Bruins to make room for the newly traded players.
More into and reaction to come later . . .
BRIGHTON, Mass – The string of injuries for the Bruins continues as Tuukka Rask (upper body) is out for tonight’s game against the Vancouver Canucks at TD Garden after getting trucked by Anders Bjork in practice Wednesday.
Rask was wobbly-legged while being helped off the ice after the violent collision and the 21-year-old Bjork looked like he’d also needed a couple of stitches on his chin after bloodying his practice jersey.
The big concern is Rask still being evaluated by Bruins medical personnel for a possible concussion. It will be Anton Khudobin stepping in place for him against the Canucks with Providence Bruins netminder Zane McIntyre serving as his backup.
“Tuukka is out tonight. He’s going to get reevaluated today and we’ll have a better idea tomorrow,” said Bruce Cassidy. “Anton will start [against the Canucks].”
Clearly, Khudobin didn’t like seeing his goaltending partner get drilled in a spirited practice, but the 32-year-old is clearly feeling confident after a strong camp and a winning season debut last week against the Arizona Coyotes.
“You don’t want to see that, but at the same time we’ve got to keep moving forward and hopefully he’s going to get better soon,” said Khudobin, who stopped 29-of-31 shots in the win over Arizona last weekend. “I feel good. Camp was good and everything is fine, and I’ve started better than last year. My role is just day-to-day. Today is a game day and hopefully, you get a good result, and then tomorrow is another new day.”
Otherwise, it looks like the Bruins will at least be getting some of their healthy bodies back with David Backes in the lineup and Patrice Bergeron a game-time decision against the Canucks. Here are the projected line combos and D-pairings based on Wednesday’s practice:
BOSTON — As soon as the American League Championship Series ends, the Red Sox could make a move for their manager.
Industry sources continue to expect Astros bench coach Alex Cora will be the Sox’ pick. No offer had been officially made as of midday Wednesday, one source close to the situation said. But the belief is such an offer waits out of respect to the Astros-Yankees ALCS that can end no later than Saturday if the series goes a full seven games.
“Not a doubt it is him,” the source said.
Sunday and Monday would both be off days ahead of the Tuesday night start of the World Series. That leads to the potential for at least a Red Sox announcement of Cora, if not a press conference, before the Fall Classic begins. (If the Astros advance to the World Series, it may be harder to have Cora in Boston for any length of time.)
All those who know Cora praise his ability to connect with players. The former Red Sox infielder is good friends with Dustin Pedroia. Cora’s previous knowledge of the Boston market works in his favor, as well, as does his mettle handling the media. Some question his readiness as a first-time manager, considering he would be taking over a team with great win-now expectations and complicated clubhouse dynamics.
Nothing takes the place of experience and there is such a thing as being too close to players. Ultimately, if the Sox do land Cora, 41, they would be adding the hottest up-and-coming managerial prospect who’s available on the market. The everybody-wants-him reputation could give Cora added cachet with players and certainly becomes a public-relations win for those fans following the search.
The Sox interviewed Ron Gardenhire on Wednesday. Gardenhire was the third candidate the Sox talked to and could well be the last. Cora met with the Sox on Sunday, followed by Brad Ausmus on Monday.