Blackhawks star forward Patrick Kane addressed the media during Thursday's training camp press conference at Notre Dame University for the first time since his involvement in an alleged sexual assault case in his hometown of Buffalo earlier this summer.
Kane expressed confidence that he is innocent, but wouldn't get into many details.
[MORE BLACKHAWKS: Eddie Olczyk 'trusts' decision by Blackhawks to allow Kane at camp]
“This has been an incredibly difficult time for many people,” Kane said. “I cannot apologize enough for the distraction this has caused my family, my teammates, this incredible organization and, of course, our fans.
“While I have too much respect for the legal process to comment on an ongoing matter, I am confident that once all the facts are brought to light, I will be absolved (of any wrongdoing)."
Following his statement, Kane declined to answer any questions that didn't pertain to hockey.
"I wish I could answer (your) questions right now, but I can't due to legal process," Kane said.
[MORE BLACKHAWKS: Blackhawks release training camp roster]
Blackhawks President John McDonough also issued a statement regarding Kane:
"The Chicago Blackhawks organization prides itself on trying to make calculated and deliberate decisions. Based on information we have at the present time ,we recognize that Patrick Kane is dealing with a very serious situation. Based on our discussions with his legal representatives who are very close to this matter we have decided to have Patrick join us for training camp here at the University of Notre Dame. Furthermore, we have the utmost respect for the legal process and will have no further comment on this issue at this time."