Instant Analysis: 49ers force OT, but still winless after loss to Colts

Instant Analysis: 49ers force OT, but still winless after loss to Colts


INDIANAPOLIS – Not even a defense that entered the weekend ranked next-to-last in the league could help the 49ers’ offense get going on Sunday.

The 49ers’ struggles under first-year coach Kyle Shanahan continued, as it becomes more and more difficult to find a winnable game on the schedule.

The 49ers remain winless with a lackluster showing in a 26-23 overtime loss against the Indianapolis Colts at Lucas Oil Stadium.

The 49ers did not get into the end zone until the midway point of the fourth quarter on Brian Hoyer’s shovel pass to fullback Kyle Juszczyk for a 6-yard touchdown.

After Indianapolis’ Adam Vinatieri and the 49ers’ Robbie Gould matched field goals for most of the game, the Colts pulled out to a 10-point lead in the third quarter.

Vinatieri’s 38-yard field goal gave Indianapolis a 9-6 lead. The Colts got into the end zone on their next possession on running back Marlon Mack’s 22-yard reception from quarterback Jacoby Brissett.

Brissett later added a 3-yard touchdown run with 9:56 remaining in the fourth quarter to extend the Colts’ lead to 23-9.

The 49ers’ offense continued to stall. Running back Carlos Hyde, who has been limited due to a hip injury, accounted for just 10 yards on five carries. Matt Breida replaced him in the third quarter.

Quarterback Brian Hoyer completed 29 of 46 passes for 353 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Running back Frank Gore gained 48 yards on 14 rushing attempts to move past Eric Dickerson and into seventh place on the NFL’s all-time rushing yardage list.

Gore entered the game with 13,256 rushing yards in 13 NFL seasons. Dickerson gained 13,259 yards in 11 seasons. Gore broke into the league as a third-round draft pick of the 49ers in 2005. This is his third season with the Colts.

Gore also added three receptions for 38 yards, including a 26-yard catch and run that set up the Colts’ third-quarter touchdown.

The 49ers’ defense experienced problems keeping the yardage to a minimum on short dump-off passes to running backs. So the team made a change that included the benching of veteran linebacker NaVorro Bowman.

Bowman came off the field late in the first half for an entire series, as Brock Coyle replaced him. When the 49ers went with six defensive backs, Coyle remained on the field with Ray-Ray Armstrong also leaving the game.

Bowman and Armstrong started the second half, but Bowman was replaced again after several series.

--Rookie cornerback Ahkello Witherspoon made his NFL regular-season debut but left the game in the first half after sustaining a concussion.

Witherspoon replaced cornerback Dontae Johnson for one series, then replaced Rashard Robinson on the next series But after just a couple of plays on the field in Robinson’s spot, Witherspoon sustained a concussion in the second quarter and did not return.

--Robinson left the game in the third quarter after experiencing cramps. Reserve cornerback Asa Jackson was ruled out after sustaining a hamstring injury.

While Robinson was out, the 49ers used nickel back K’Waun Williams on the outside and moved Jimmie Ward to cover the slot receiver. Rookie Lorenzo Jerome took over at free safety.

--With Gould’s third field goal of the game set the franchise record with 14 consecutive made field goals to open a season. Wade Richey set the mark in 1999 when he made 13 in a row. It was also the 300th field goal of Gould’s career.

--On the 49ers’ touchdown drive in the middle of the fourth quarter, Hoyer hit Marquise Goodwin on back-to-back pass plays of 20 and 51 yards.

T.O. negotiating football comeback with CFL team


T.O. negotiating football comeback with CFL team

In 2010, former San Francisco 49ers wide receiver Terrell Owens played the last NFL down of his 15-year career. Eight years later, and weeks before a Pro Football Hall of Fame induction he won't attend, the 44-year-old is planning to return to the pro ranks, wherever that may be.

Canada-based agent Jason Staroszik told TSN and ESPN that Owens "100 percent" wants to play football again, and is willing to play in Canada in order to do so. 

To that end, Owens activated a 10-day negotiating window with the CFL's Edmonton Eskimos over the weekend, as Canadian football news site 3 Down Nation first reported on Monday and ESPN confirmed on Tuesday. That window closes on July 24, and Edmonton will relinquish his rights if they do not offer Owens a contract. 

The Eskimos can retain his rights into 2019 with any offer, including one for the minimum salary of $54,000. Staroszik told ESPN that Owens is unlikely to accept a minimum contract.

Edmonton added Owens to their reserve list in June, one day after Owens posted on Instagram that he was clocked running a 40-yard dash at 4.44 and 4.43 seconds, by two separate stopwatches. 

Owens last tried a pro football comeback in 2012. He played with the Allen Wranglers of the Indoor Football League, and then was cut by the Seattle Seahawks in training camp that summer after catching two passes in two preseason games. 

Report: Brandin Cooks agrees to five-year extension with Rams


Report: Brandin Cooks agrees to five-year extension with Rams

In early April, the Rams acquired Brandin Cooks in a trade with the Patriots.

On Tuesday, the team and wide receiver agreed to a five-year extension, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The deal is reportedly worth $80 million, but the guaranteed money is unknown at this point.

Last year with New England, Cooks registered 65 catches for 1,082 yards and seven touchdowns.

The Oregon State product entered the NFL in 2014 as the 20th overall pick.

The 49ers host Cooks and the Rams on Oct. 21 and play their regular season finale in Los Angeles on Dec. 30.