Red Sox

David Price says he doesn't fear Yankees or hate Boston

David Price says he doesn't fear Yankees or hate Boston

David Price doesn't hate Boston, isn't afraid of the Yankees and says, "there's always a chance of anything" when asked about the possiblity of opting out of his contract after this season.

Those are some of the highlights of what Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy termed a "quick interview" with the Red Sox left-hander as he tries to rebound from consecutive poor starts when he takes the mound Thursday against the Toronto Blue Jays at Fenway Park. 

Of the Yankees, who torched Price for eight runs and five home runs in a 3 1/3-inning start at Yankee Stadium on July 1 that put his ERA against them this season to 24.92:

"I feel great moving forward for the rest of the season and great facing the Yankees again, whenever that may be. That's a team I've pitched against a lot in my career, probably more than against any team in the big leagues, maybe with the exception of Toronto. I've pitched against both of them a lot and I've had some bad games against [the Yankees] a few times. I gave up nine straight hits against them when I was in Detroit in 2015. Nine straight hits. No walks, no sac flies, no hit by pitches, nine straight knocks."

The Red Sox next face New York Aug. 2-5 at Fenway.

On his feelings toward Boston: "I've never said I've hated Boston or had a problem with the fans. That's a perception that's put on me through you [media] guys. That's what that is. It's like when we were in Minnesota and I said I wasn't deserving of being an All-Star and didn't think I should be an All-Star, and then all that crap got put out. It turns into that. So write what you want to write."

Though he referred to the reaction about his comments in Minnesota, Price said he doesn't pay attention to criticism in newspapers or on the radio.

"I'm still not a subscriber to whatever papers there are," he told Shaughnessy. "I don't know the last time I've listened to FM or AM radio."

And about that opt-out available to him after the season in the seven-year, $217 million contract he signed before the 2016 season? 

"I'm not going to sit here and say there's zero percent chance when there's always a chance of anything, but that's nothing that I'm thinking about or putting any thought to, or talking to anyone else about," he said. "I expect to win and I expect to do that here."

NBC SPORTS BOSTON SCHEDULE

Ex-Red Sox slugger Mike Napoli joins Cubs coaching staff

Ex-Red Sox slugger Mike Napoli joins Cubs coaching staff

Yet another former member of the Boston Red Sox has joined the Chicago Cubs.

Former Sox slugger Mike Napoli has joined the Cubs as a quality assurance coach, according to Jon Heyman of MLB Network.

Napoli joins fellow 2013 World Series champion David Ross on the Cubs staff. Ross replaced Joe Maddon as Chicago's manager last month.

Ex-Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has served as Cubs president of baseball operations for the last eight years. Former Sox pitching coach Dana LeVangie recently interviewed for the Cubs' bullpen coach job.

In three seasons as Boston's DH/first baseman, Napoli hit .242 with 53 home runs.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

Red Sox, Alex Cora are 'fully cooperating' with MLB's sign-stealing investigation

Red Sox, Alex Cora are 'fully cooperating' with MLB's sign-stealing investigation

The Houston Astros' sign-stealing scheme was rather elboarate, and Boston Red Sox manager Alex Cora reportedly played a major role in the operation.

Cora was Houston manager A.J. Hinch's right-hand man as the Astros' bench coach in 2017, winning the World Series with the organization. So, quite frankly, it's not surprising that Cora was involved in the matter. 

Major League Baseball now is investigating the Astros organization, as well as anyone involved with the team in 2017 -- A.K.A. Cora and current New York Mets manager Carlos Beltran. Cora was interviewed Wednesday, and the Red Sox are offering the MLB "full cooperation" in the ongoing investigation, according to Jason Mastrodonato of the Boston Herald. 

According to our Red Sox Insider John Tomase, the Red Sox really only need to be concerned with the matter if Cora used some of those tactics to lead Boston to a World Series Championship in 2018, and throughout the duration of a rather upsetting 2019 season. 

It remains unknown if Cora will receive any disciplinary action from the league. 

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.