Red Sox

Mookie Betts clarifies stance about potential extension with Red Sox

Mookie Betts clarifies stance about potential extension with Red Sox

Mookie Betts would like to set the record straight.

Remember earlier this week when the reigning American League MVP said he doesn't expect to sign a contract extension with the Boston Red Sox? ("I don’t expect anything to happen till I’m a free agent," were his exact words.)

Well, that doesn't mean he's slamming the door shut.

"I wouldn’t say that," Betts said Thursday when asked if he's ruled out signing an extension in Boston before he becomes a free agent after the 2020 season, via The Boston Globe's Alex Speier.

“I wouldn’t say, ‘Nope, I’m just not going to sign a deal.’ That would be a lie. But there’s a value that’s there. I think I’m going to stick to my guns on the value. It’s not necessarily not signing a deal."

Betts' point? He just wants to earn what he thinks he deserves. If the Red Sox offer the star outfielder his desire contract via an extension, he'd probably take it.

"I love it here,” Betts added. "I’d love to be here. I love my teammates, the front office, coaches, everybody. I couldn’t ask for a better organization to be a part of. But at the end of the day, you have to be true to yourself. You don’t want to sell yourself short."

If Betts seeks full value, though, recent history suggests he'll find it on the free agent market. Mike Trout just signed a massive extension with the Los Angeles Angels worth $35.8 million annually, and with Xander Bogaerts, J.D. Martinez, Chris Sale and Rick Porcello all set to hit free agency after this season, Boston isn't really in a position to commit that much cash to Betts right now.

Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski even said as much Thursday, insisting the Red Sox won't be negotiating any extensions once the 2019 season starts.

But the Sox still could come back to Betts with an offer next offseason ahead of the final year on his deal. And it sounds like he'd at least be willing to listen.

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

MLB Rumors: Red Sox agree to contract with lefthanded pitcher Martin Perez

MLB Rumors: Red Sox agree to contract with lefthanded pitcher Martin Perez

The Boston Red Sox have reportedly made another signing in MLB free agency.

After signing infielder Jose Peraza to a one-year deal earlier in the day on Thursday, the Red Sox agreed to terms with Martin Perez, according to The Athletic's Ken Rosenthal.

And per Rosenthal, the deal with pay Perez $6 million in the first year of his deal.

The signing of the 28-year-old lefthander won't do a lot to inspire Red Sox fans. Perez has a career ERA of 4.72 and posted a 5.12 mark last season with the Twins. That said, he did go 10-7 and averaged a career-high 7.3 K/9, so perhaps the Red Sox see a hidden gem.

Perez, a starter, will likely slot into the back-end of the Red Sox rotation. He'll replace Rick Porcello, who agreed to a one-year, $10 million deal with the New York Mets at the MLB Winter Meetings.

Report: Sox have had David Price trade talks 'with at least five clubs'>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.

MLB rumors: Red Sox, free agent Jose Peraza agree to one-year contract

MLB rumors: Red Sox, free agent Jose Peraza agree to one-year contract

The Boston Red Sox bolstered their infield depth Thursday by agreeing to sign Jose Peraza to a one-year contract worth about $3 million plus incentives, per MLB Network's Jon Heyman.

Peraza made his Major League debut in 2015 with the Los Angeles Dodgers but spent the last four years with the Cincinnati Reds. He batted .239 with six home runs, 33 RBI and a .285 on-base percentage in 141 games during the 2019 season.

His best season came in 2018 when he batted .288 with 14 homers, 58 RBI and a .326 on-base percentage in 157 games for the Reds. All things considered, Peraza is a good buy-low candidate for the Red Sox, who also could help Boston replace Brock Holt if he departs in free agency.

The 25-year-old infielder brings plenty of positional versatility to the Red Sox. Peraza mostly played second base for Cincinnati this past season, but he also saw time at third base, left field and center field.

Peraza drew interest from at least four teams, per MLB.com's Mark Feinsand.

Report: Sox have had David Price trade talks 'with at least five clubs'>>>

Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the Celtics easily on your device.