White Sox

Presented By Hayes
White Sox

GLENDALE, Ariz. — Carlos Rodon will begin a two-week throwing program after a second opinion revealed no structural damage. 

The White Sox pitcher is back in camp on Tuesday morning after he traveled to Los Angeles for a follow up appointment on Monday. That visit yet again cleared Rodon of any major injury, though he has been diagnosed as having bursitis (inflammation) in his left bicep tendon. Rodon is expected to start the season on the 15-day disabled list.

"I had a good day (Monday), figured some stuff out and are going with the plan we've got now," Rodon said. "(The program is) based on how I feel, how I push it. I'll try to take it slow, and if everything feels good, I want to be back with these guys as soon as I can."

Rodon was scratched from Friday's start and has undergone a slew of tests since. 

General manager Rick Hahn said last week that odds were Rodon would start the season on the DL. Manager Rick Renteria hinted the same on Monday when he said the White Sox would be cautious with the No. 3 overall pick of the 2014 draft even if the second opinion revealed no significant damage.

While the club heads home on Wednesday, Rodon will remain in Arizona for the next two weeks in extended spring training.

"The good news for us is there's nothing structurally wrong, so everything is fine," Renteria said. "He's just going to take a step back and we'll see how he proceeds. We'll re-evaluate in a couple of weeks and make a decision there as to what the course of the plan of attack will be moving forward."

 

Though the team undoubtedly needs a new No. 5 starter, Renteria has been hesitant to announce a candidate. It's believed either Rule 5 draft pick Dylan Covey or veteran reliever Anthony Swarzak could get the nod when the turn comes up on April 8 or April 9. 

Both pitch in Wednesday's Cactus League finale against the San Diego Padres. 

While the status of neither player has been announced, both appear to have a strong chance of making the Opening Day roster. A nonroster invitee to camp, Swarzak would first have to be added to the 40-man roster. The White Sox have two spots open on the 40-man with potentially three invitees to add. Catcher Geovany Soto and infielder/outfielder Cody 
Asche are both in the roster mix. 

"We're still working (the fifth starter) out right now," Renteria said. "Scheduling, talking to Coop we'll kind of leave that behind closed doors until we decide where we're going to go."