NBC Sports Chicago is simulating the 2020 White Sox season via MLB The Show during the postponement of play. The White Sox, stocked with young talent and veteran offseason acquisitions, were expected to take a big step forward in their rebuild this season. In our simulation, the Southsiders started 3-3, dropping a series vs. the Royals and winning a series vs. the Indians. Follow along as we play out the first few months of the season.
Despite it being a chilly April affair, the bats were in mid-summer form in the series opener between the White Sox and Red Sox at Fenway Park. The Southsiders jumped on Nathan Eovaldi early, as Edwin Encarnacion and Yasmani Grandal hit back-to-back home runs in the third inning to give the Sox a 4-1 lead. Tim Anderson followed that up with a two-run bomb of his own in the 4th, bouncing Eovaldi from the game.
The wheels came off for the White Sox in the sixth. The Red Sox recorded three straight hits off Dallas Keuchel, scoring once. Rick Renteria brought in Kelvin Herrera to stop the bleeding. But he failed to do so and Boston went on to score four more times in the inning to take a 7-6 lead. An unlikely hero saved the day for Chicago. Leury Garcia smashed a go-ahead, two-run double to left-center in the bottom of the eighth.
Aaron Bummer recorded a four-out save as the White Sox took game one from the Red Sox, 9-7.
Result: White Sox def. Red Sox 9-7
Record: 4-3, 1st in A.L. Central
W: Steve Cishek (1-0)
L: Matt Barnes (0-1)
SV: Aaron Bummer (3)
White Sox Lineup:
1. Tim Anderson: 2-4, HR, 3 RBI (.344 BA)
2. Yoan Moncada: 2-4 (.387 BA)
3. Jose Abreu: 1-5 (.250 BA)
4. Edwin Encarnacion: 1-5, HR, 2 RBI (.240 BA)
5. Yasmani Grandal: 2-5, HR, RBI (.321 BA)
6. Eloy Jimenez: 1-4 (.280 BA)
7. Luis Robert: 0-3 (.272 BA)
8. Nomar Mazara: 2-4, RBI (.222 BA)
9. Leury Garcia: 1-4, 2 RBI (.250 BA)
- J.D. Martinez doubled to left center. Jose Peraza scored. 1-0 BOS.
- Nomar Mazara doubled to right. Yasmani Grandal scored. 1-1.
- Edwin Encarnacion homered to center. Tim Anderson scored. 3-1 CHW.
- Yasmani Grandal homered to right. 4-1 CHW.
- Tim Anderson homered to left. Nomar Mazara scored. 6-1 CHW.
- Michael Chavis homered to center. 6-2 CHW.
- Rafael Devers doubled to right. J.D. Martinez scored. 6-3 CHW.
- Kevin Pillar singled to left. Xander Bogaerts scored. 6-4 CHW
- Christian Vazquez doubled to left. Rafael Devers scored. Kevin Pillar scored. 6-6.
- Mitch Moreland flew out to center. Christian Vazquez scored. 7-6 BOS
- Leury Garcia doubled to left center. Eloy Jimenez scored. Luis Robert scored. 8-7 CHW
- Tim Anderson singled to right. Leury Garcia scored. 9-7 CHW
Notable Performance: Yasmani Grandal has looked worth every penny of his $73M-deal so far this season. With his solo shot in the third inning, Grandal has already homered four times in seven games, good for fourth in the American League.
Next Game: Saturday, April 4th - Gm. 8: White Sox at Red Sox (Gio Gonzalez vs Brian Johnson)Click here to download the new MyTeams App by NBC Sports! Receive comprehensive coverage of your teams and stream the White Sox easily on your device.