Eagles

Eagles backup QB Nick Foles 'feels great,' not worried about missing preseason

Eagles backup QB Nick Foles 'feels great,' not worried about missing preseason

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Nick Foles was asked after the game whether he would need surgery on his elbow if this injury happened in the offseason.

"No, no, no, no, no!"

Can't be much clearer than that.

Foles, who missed most of training camp with an elbow injury, didn't play Thursday night against the Jets at MetLife Stadium and wound up not getting into a game the entire preseason.

But after the game, he said his elbow is 100 percent and he sat out only as a precaution. For the first time, he revealed that the injury is a strained flexor tendon.

"I know everyone's freaking out because nobody's really gotten a lot of answers, but it feels great," Foles said after the Eagles' 16-10 loss (see breakdown). "When you're a throwing athlete, it's just something you have to deal with sometimes."

Foles, who spent the 2012 through 2014 seasons with the Eagles before single seasons with the Rams and Chiefs, returned to the Eagles this offseason to back up Carson Wentz.

He did finally put on an Eagles game jersey Thursday night for the first time in three years, and he threw a little bit before the game. But that's the closest we got to actual game reps (see 10 observations).

"Obviously, it's good to get reps and all that, but sometimes injuries do happen, and this was one of the occurrences that was unfortunate," he said. "But I feel great now. The training staff did a great job with it. We just felt it was best at this time to treat it and continue to get healthy because the season is right around the corner, and you want to be healthy for the season.

"I'm fine. I feel great. I was able to throw in pregame warm-ups and get the feel of it again. Obviously, I've played in some games, and I can really just lean on that."

Head coach Doug Pederson has said all along that he wasn't concerned about Foles, and he repeated that after the game (more from Pederson here).

"He's right where he needs to be going into the season," Pederson said. "Just decided to rest him."

Why isn't he concerned when his No. 2 quarterback hasn't taken a snap all preseason and is dealing with an injury that dates back to last year?

"Because I'm not concerned based on what I'm getting from the medical staff and based on Nick's feeling and based on the way he worked out today and really threw this week in practice a little bit," he said. "Kind of building himself up. There's no concern."

Pederson was asked what he liked about Foles' pregame workout and said, "I thought the velocity, the ball was coming out of his hand nice, nice spirals, accuracy. Even the way he was moving in his drops. Really was eye-catching to watch. He had no issues, so very comfortable with that."

Foles, a Pro Bowler during his historic 2013 season, has a 20-16 career record, including a 15-9 mark with the Eagles.

"I feel really comfortable," Foles said. "You go to a new team and something like this happens, it's a little bit more difficult.

"I know this offense. Obviously I played for Doug (in 2012) and Coach (Andy) Reid, and that helps a lot."

Eagles QB Nick Foles reportedly OK after leaving game with shoulder injury

Eagles QB Nick Foles reportedly OK after leaving game with shoulder injury

Eagles quarterback Nick Foles will be OK after leaving Thursday’s preseason loss to the Patriots, according to a report Friday.

“After tests,” the Super Bowl LII MVP is not expected to be out long, per NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.

Foles, who left the game early in the second quarter after a strip sack, didn’t have a great outing: 3 of 9 for 44 yards. But more important than anything, he appears to be healthy after a scare.

After the game, Foles said he was “optimistic” about the injury.

“It’s just the shoulder,” Foles said. “It sort of got jarred in a funny way as I was following through. It feels good. We’ll check it out tomorrow more thoroughly.”

Foles didn’t return to the game, but he also never left the sideline, receiving treatment on what the team called a shoulder strain.

With the opener still weeks away, Foles didn’t want to speculate on his status for Week 1, but didn’t sound like a guy that planned to miss much time.

“I’m not even going to go there,” Foles said. “We’re just going to live in the moment and sort of go day to day. I’m going to do everything I can to get back on the field and hopefully practice the first day we get back practicing and be ready to roll.”

More on the Eagles

Former Eagles first-round bust Marcus Smith released by Seahawks

ap-marcus-smith-cut-seahawks.jpg
AP Images

Former Eagles first-round bust Marcus Smith released by Seahawks

Marcus Smith, the Eagles’ first-round pick in 2014, was released by the Seahawks Friday, the second straight summer he’s been cut.

With just 6½ sacks in 51 career games over four seasons, Smith is among the biggest first-round busts in recent NFL history.

The Eagles released Smith last July 26, and he signed with the Seahawks two days later. He played in 14 games for Seattle a year ago, tying his career high with 2½ sacks.

Smith had missed practice the last two days with what coach Pete Carroll said was a personal issue.

In three years with the Eagles, the 26th pick in the 2014 draft recorded four sacks.

Some 174 players have recorded more sacks than Smith since opening day of 2014.

Smith is part of a remarkable trio of first-round defensive end busts the Eagles have drafted in the last couple decades.

Jon Harris, the 25th pick in 1997, had two career sacks. Jerome McDougle, the 15th pick in 2003, had three career sacks. And Smith has 6½.

Among defensive ends drafted in the first round during the 18-year span from 1997 through 2014, Harris, McDougle and Smith have the fourth, sixth and 16th-fewest sacks.

Smith, now 26, was due an $800,000 base salary this year if he made the Seahawks’ roster. They’re on the hook for a $400,000 signing bonus they gave him in March and will now have to carry that in dead money.

More on the Eagles