Super Bowl Sunday’s Pregame Shootaround: 11 college basketball games before The Big Game
GAME OF THE DAY: Virginia vs. No. 18 Pittsburgh, 12:30 p.m. (ESPNU)
On Saturday afternoon, Duke and Syracuse gave us a classic game with the Orange pulling out an 91-89 overtime victory in front on 35,446 fans -- an NCAA on-campus record -- inside the Carrier Dome. If you missed it, and I feel for you if you did, you can catch up here:
The Orange and Blue Devils are the two best teams in the ACC. However, Virginia and Pittsburgh are two pretty good teams as well, currently sitting at second and third, respectively, in conference standings. Sunday offers an opportunity for the Cavaliers or Panthers to strengthen their case as a threat in the ACC.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: No. 10 Michigan vs. Indiana, 1 p.m. (CBS)
Michigan is the hottest team in the nation, rapidly climbing the rankings while riding a 10-game winning streak. The Wolverines are undefeated, sitting atop the Big Ten standings. Indiana is toward the bottom. The Hoosiers have lost three of four and are desperately in need of a marquee win.
Last year on Super Bowl Sunday, Indiana head coach Tom Crean’s brother-in-law John Harbaugh led his Baltimore Ravens to a Super Bowl title, though, that did come at the expense of Crean’s other brother-in-law Jim Harbaugh.
MID-MAJOR GAME OF THE DAY: Mercer vs. USC Upstate, 2 p.m. (ESPN3)
Florida Gulf Coast is the fan favorite in the Atlantic Sun. However, Mercer is currently the top team in the conference. The Bears head to South Carolina to face USC Upstate, which is the third-best team in the A-Sun.
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW
1) The Bruins can move within a game of first place in the Pac-12 Conference when they travel to Corvallis, Ore. to take on the Oregon State Beavers, who is looking to go over .500 in conference play.
2) No. 13 Cincinnati can improve to 10-0 in American play as the Bearcats host South Florida on Sunday. It is the first of two straight home games; the second being against UConn on Thursday.
3) Purdue has lost three straight conference games. Penn State is fresh off a one-point win in Columbus over Ohio State. The Boilermakers travel to State College, Pa. for an afternoon matchup with the Nittany Lions.
4) With the win over Bowling Green, Buffalo can make it a three-way tie -- with Ohio and Akron -- for first place in the MAC East Division with a 6-2 record. Toledo leads the West Division with an identical 6-2 conference record.
5) Robert Morris was upset by Central Connecticut State on Saturday, two days after defeating NEC foe Bryant. The Bulldogs can gain ground on the Colonials with a win over Sacred Heart.
SUPER BOWL PICK
Seahawks 20, Broncos 17