Denny Hamlin says contract extension with Joe Gibbs Racing is done
DETROIT -- Denny Hamlin said Monday his contract extension with Joe Gibbs Racing is essentially done and just awaiting an official release by his team and sponsor.
“It’s just whenever they want to announce something,” Hamlin told NBC Sports after helping Toyota Racing Development unveil a redesigned Camry model that will make its debut with the 2017 season.
“It’s probably a better question for Gibbs and (sponsor) FedEx, but I think they’ll release something when they’re ready.”
Multiple sources familiar with the deal said the sides had agreed to terms. The sources requested anonymity because they weren’t authorized to speak publicly.
Hamlin, 36, is entering the final season of a four-year extension that he signed in June 2012 (while he still had more than a year left on his current deal).
The defending Daytona 500 winner has 29 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series victories with JGR since moving full time to the premier circuit in 2006.
He finished sixth in last year’s standings, the 10th time in 11 seasons that he has qualified for the playoffs (he missed the Chase for the Sprint Cup in 2013 because of a four-race absence for a fractured back).
“Everything seems to be good,” Hamlin said. “I love where I’m at. Love my sponsor. Love my manufacturer. I don’t see any of that changing.”