Austin Dillon led Cup Series in DNFs in 2023
Austin Dillon led the Cup Series by failing to finish 10 races. He posted an average finish of 21.8, the worst mark of his full-time career.
Dillon entered the Next Gen era with 23 DNFs in seven full-time seasons. He did not have a DNF as a rookie in 2014. Dillon has posted 18 more DNFs in two seasons with the Next Gen car.
Four Cup drivers had six or more DNFs this season. This includes Kyle Larson, who finished second in the championship standings. Seven drivers tied with four DNFs. Jimmie Johnson had DNFs in all three of his starts.
Corey LaJoie was the only full-time driver in Cup that completed the season without a DNF.
Top 20 Drivers in DNFs Last Season
1. Austin Dillon (10) — He had eight DNFs in 2022, tied for the second-most in the series.
2. Kyle Larson (8) — He had seven DNFs in 2022.
3. Kyle Busch (6) — He had six DNFs in 2022, his final season with Joe Gibbs Racing.
4. Daniel Suarez (6) — Suarez had four DNFs in 2022.
5. Bubba Wallace (5) — He had seven DNFs in 2022.
6. Joey Logano (5) — He had four DNFs in 2022 before winning his second Cup championship.
7. Ty Gibbs (5) — Gibbs had four DNFs in 2022 while making 15 starts for 23XI Racing.
8. Ryan Preece (5) — He had one DNF in 2022 while making two starts for Rick Ware Racing.
9. Christopher Bell (4) — He had six in 2022 before making the Championship 4 for the first time.
10. Ross Chastain (4) — He had five DNFs in 2022 before making the Championship 4 for the first time.
11. Denny Hamlin (4) — He had five DNFs in 2022.
12. AJ Allmendinger (4) — He had one DNF in 2022 while making 18 starts for Kaulig Racing.
13. Alex Bowman (4) — He had five DNFs in 2022. Bowman had four in 2023 after returning from a fractured vertebra.
14. Aric Almirola (4) — He had four DNFs in 2022, his final as a full-time driver.
15. Austin Cindric (4) — He had four DNFs in 2022 before winning Rookie of the Year.
16. Martin Truex Jr. (3) — He had five DNFs in 2022 as he went winless and missed the playoffs.
17. Chase Elliott (3) — He had four DNFs in 2022 but also led the series with five wins.
18. Brad Keselowski (3) — He had four DNFs in 2022, his first season with RFK Racing.
19. Ricky Stenhouse Jr. (3) — He and Ty Dillon led all Cup drivers in 2022 with nine DNFs.
20. Tyler Reddick (3) — He had eight DNFs in 2022, his final season with Richard Childress Racing.