NASCAR Power Rankings: The race name game
It used to be so simple. Schedule a NASCAR race and give it a name.
It could be about your town: the Richmond 250. Or your region: the Southeastern 500. Or your universe: the World 600.
Or to honor a driver: the Gwyn Staley 400.
Or it might be the best NASCAR race name of all time: the Firecracker 400, held on July 4 at Daytona International Speedway.
Then sponsor money arrived, and the NASCAR name game changed forever. Deliver a check that’s large enough, and pick almost any name you want. Here are 10 of the oddest from recent years:
NASCAR Power Rankings
1. Beef. It’s What’s for Dinner. 300 -- No, you didn’t get a steak with your ticket.
2. Axalta. Faster. Tougher. Brighter. 200 -- The award for most periods in a race name goes here.
3. Heluva Good! Sour Cream Dips at the Glen -- A real challenge for the race broadcast teams.
4. TreatMyClot.com 300 -- One of the weirder medication-related race names.
5. Blue Emu Maximum Pain Relief 400 -- Hopefully, the race didn’t stink.
6. 1000Bulbs.com 500 -- A not-so-bright idea.
MORE: Kyle Busch one-on-one
7. Buschy McBusch Race 400 -- Really?
8. Call 811 Before You Dig 200 -- An important reminder for all fans who bring shovels to the track.
9. Big Machine Vodka 400 at the Brickyard -- The Brickyard 400 was such a fun name.
10. Axalta ‘We Paint Winners’ 400 -- Axalta paints itself into a corner.
Honorable mentions: GoBowling.com 400, Powershares QQQ 300, MyAFibStory.com 400, Goody’s Headache Relief Shot 500, My Bariatric Solutions 300.