Wednesday’s Pregame Shootaround: Major conference tourneys, Patriot League final
GAME OF THE DAY: American at Boston U., 7:30 p.m.
The Patriot League’s automatic bid will be handed out this evening as the two best teams in the conference square off. BU has the best back court in the conference with Maurice Watson and D.J. Irving while American sputtered down the stretch, losing five of their last ten.
THE OTHER GAME OF THE DAY: Texas Tech at Oklahoma State, 7:00 p.m.
There aren’t many great games in the major conference tournaments today, but the most interesting may be Tech’s date with the Pokes. Oklahoma State is playing like the team we all thought they would be back in November, but Texas Tech is tough. They have some size up front and a couple of talented scorers in Jaye Crockett and Jordan Tolbert.
FIVE THINGS TO WATCH:
1) The first day of the ACC tournament kicks off with three games, none of which have much NCAA tournament consequence.
2) It’s the first day of the Pac-12 tournament as well, and things there will be a bit more interesting. Utah (Washington), Colorado (USC), Oregon (Oregon State), and Stanford (Washington State) are all sitting on or around the bubble.
3) Georgetown kicks off their first, new Big East tournament with a game against ... DePaul. A loss would crush any tournament hopes.
4) Baylor is probably safely in the tournament at this point, but losing to TCU certainly wouldn’t help matters. They get the Horned Frogs in the first round of the Big 12 tournament.
5) The American, SEC and Atlantic 10 tournaments all kick off today as well.