Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Browns say “just an apology” insufficient for Crowell after “unacceptable” post

Isaiah Crowell, Brandon Flowers

AP

The Browns released a statement Monday night on running back Isaiah Crowell’s since-deleted social media post, calling it “extremely disturbing and unacceptable.”

Crowell apologized Monday for posting a drawing on Instagram that appeared to show a man slashing the throat of a police officer, and Crowell admitted the post was a reaction to two incidents last week in which African-American men were killed by police in separate incidents in Minnesota and Louisiana.

“We have spoken to Isaiah regarding his extremely disturbing and unacceptable social media decision,” the team’s statement said. “It was completely inappropriate and we have made him aware of our high level of disappointment. Isaiah has apologized but also knows that just an apology is insufficient and that he must take steps to make a positive difference after a very negative and impactful post.”

Translation: The Browns are embarrassed and angry with Crowell, and as soon as all the decision makers gather from their vacations and have a chance to really talk about the situation, they’ll decide how to handle things.

The team’s statement on Crowell came about four hours after the team released a statement attributed to Crowell in which he expressed remorse for posting the picture. The Monday night statement that confirmed the team had spoken to Crowell was attributed to a spokesperson and listed no one by name.

Crowell also posted his personal statement and apology on his personal Twitter account. A third-year player, Crowell led the Browns in rushing last season and is in line to play a significant role in the offense again this season.

NFL Spokesman Brian McCarthy told Cleveland.com that “the image was inappropriate and insensitive. He realized this, took down the post and has since apologized.”