John Schneider says still no decision on fifth-year option for Bruce Irvin
Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider said Tuesday that the team has still not decided whether to pick up the fifth-year option on linebacker Bruce Irvin.
Irvin, the 15th overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, has developed into a very capable starting outside linebacker over the last two seasons for the Seahawks. He would be due $7.8 million for the 2016 season if Seattle elects to pick up the option on his rookie contract. Even though Schneider said the decision has yet to be made, it seems likely that they will pick up the option before the May 3 deadline.
The option is guaranteed for injury only, meaning Seattle could still have the flexibility to move on from Irvin next year depending on their salary cap status following the expected deals for Russell Wilson and Bobby Wagner. Irvin recorded 37 tackles with 6.5 sacks and two interceptions returned for touchdowns last season.
With the draft being a week earlier this year, the deadline to pick up the option now occurs after the draft instead of before it.
Also, with Seattle trading their 2013 first-round pick to acquire Percy Harvin, trading out of the first round last year and dealing this year’s first-round pick to New Orleans for Jimmy Graham, the Seahawks won’t have to worry about a fifth-year option the next three years.