The Buzzer: Horvat erupts; Luongo spectacular
1. Bo Horvat, Vancouver Canucks
Horvat was one of 11 Canucks to record a point on Thursday, and he topped the heap with two goals and two assists as the Canucks doubled up the Boston Bruins 8-4. The game featured no goaltending. Horvat took three minor penalties in the game, too, so he could have likely done even more damage against unenthused Boston club.
2. Roberto Luongo, Florida Panthers
He stopped 26-of-27 saves. It’s not a 50-save performance by any means, but when you watch the highlights, Luongo will be sprinkled all over them. ‘Lu’ made two incredible glove-hand saves in the game, one of which you will see below. Luongo has now won both starts since returning from an injury sustained in the first game of the regular season. Florida struggled mightily with Luongo out of the lineup but have now beaten the Winnipeg Jets and the Oilers since his return as he tries to turn around Florida’s terrible start.
3. Jeff Skinner, Buffalo Sabres
He might have been the acquisition of the summer. Skinner scored two more goals on Thursday as the Sabres edged the Montreal Canadiens 6-5 in overtime. Skinner has 11 goals on the season, including six in his past six games. His career high is 37 and he’s on pace to flirt with 40 this season.
Other notable performances
- Jake DeBrusk did his best to help the Bruins win with two goals and an assist. He didn’t get much help from his goaltenders in a walloping to the Canucks though.
- Skinner wasn’t the only one scoring in multiples on Thursday. Vladimir Sobotka notched two of his own in the Sabres win.
- Like DeBrusk above, New York Islanders forward Josh Bailey was a victim of lackluster goaltending after putting up a brace of his own.
- Mikko Koivu assisted on all three Wild goals in a 3-1 win against the Kings.
Highlights of the Night
Not so fast, Rattie:
This kind of thing should be banned:
A powerful message from Los Angeles and Minnesota:
Canucks 8, Bruins 5
Panthers 4, Oilers 1
Flyers 5, Coyotes 4 (OT)
Golden Knights 5, Senators 3
Lightning 4, Islanders 2
Sabres 6, Canadiens 5 (OT)
Hurricanes 4, Blackhawks 3
Starts 4, Sharks 3
Wild 3, Kings 1