LATE NIGHT SNACKS: Texas, Baylor, Butler earn big wins; South Carolina, Vanderbilt get bad losses
GAME OF THE NIGHT: Youngstown State 92, UIC 91, 2 OT
Two of the Horizon League’s bottom feeders provided quite a bit of excitement on Tuesday night as Matt Donlan (13 points, nine rebounds) made a putback with 1.2 seconds left to give the Penguins the win. This game produced some gaudy stat lines as Cameron Morse had 28 points in 50 minutes for Youngstown State while freshman Dikembe Dixson (40 points, 17 rebounds) and Tai Odiase (22 points, 12 rebounds, six blocks) had big outings for UIC.
(H/T: John Vargo of the Tribune Chronicle)
Mississippi State 75, Vanderbilt 74: The bubble likely burst for Vanderbilt as freshman Quinndary Weatherspoon hit a corner 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Bulldogs the win. Mississippi State was down by 17 points with 13 minutes left and earned the SEC home win behind Weatherspoon’s 24 points.
No. 24 Texas 85, No. 10 West Virginia 78: The Longhorns picked up an important season sweep over the Mountaineers as they try to build steam towards the end of the regular season. I have more on why this was the start of an important stretch for Texas.
No. 25 Baylor 100, No. 13 Iowa State 91, OT: Baylor picked up the season sweep of Iowa State as the Bears had 27 points, 10 rebounds and four blocks from forward Johnathan Motley. After losing three of its last four games, this was a key win for Baylor.
Missouri 72, South Carolina 67: This is a really bad loss for South Carolina, especially considering Missouri dismissed starting junior guard Wes Clark from the team right before the game. The Gamecocks came out flat after a blowout loss to Kentucky over the weekend as they shot 33 percent from the field. Ryan Rosberg paced the Tigers with 18 points, as Missouri earned only its third SEC win of the season.
Butler 88, Creighton 75: With both of these Big East teams fighting for a spot in the NCAA tournament, this was a good win for the Bulldogs, as they had five players finish in double-figures. Kelan Martin struggled to a 6-for-18 shooting night but led Butler with 21 points and eight rebounds while Austin Etherington came off the bench to score 17 points while going 4-for-5 from 3-point range.
BUBBLE BANTER: Just how costly is South Carolina’s loss to Missouri?
Antonio Campbell, Ohio: The junior forward had 33 points and 11 rebounds as the Bobcats were winners in the MAC over Eastern Michigan. Campbell finished 14-for-20 from the field and 3-for-5 from 3-point range.
James Robinson, Pitt: Just missing out on a triple-double was the senior point guard as the Panthers outlasted Wake Forest in two overtimes for an ACC home win. Robinson finished with 22 points, 10 rebounds and nine assists as he also didn’t commit a turnover and also added three steals.
OTHER TOP 25 RESULTS
- No. 17 Purdue shot poorly in the second half but still beat Northwestern for a Big Ten road win. A.J. Hammons led the Boilers with 18 points and 12 rebounds while Johnny Hill had 15 points.
OTHER NOTABLE RESULTS
- On a night where Ohio State retired the jersey of Evan Turner, the Buckeyes picked up a Big Ten home win over Michigan. Marc Loving and Jae’Sean Tate each scored 13 points to lead Ohio State. It’s also worth noting that Caris LeVert did not play for the Wolverines after coming off the bench over the weekend.
- In a game in which both teams shot under 37 percent from the field, Florida beat Georgia on the road in the SEC as KeVaughn Allen had 19 points.
- Texas A&M stopped a four-game losing streak with an SEC home win over Ole Miss. Danuel House scored 13 points to lead a balanced effort for the Aggies.
- Kansas State won on the road in the Big 12 at TCU as Justin Edwards led the way with 17 points.
- Illinois cruised to a Big Ten home win over Rutgers as junior Malcolm Hill had 22 points and 10 rebounds.
- In a battle of two of the worst teams in the AAC, South Florida picked up a win over East Carolina as Jahmal McMurray had 21 points.
- VCU picked up a home A-10 win over Rhode Island as Mo Alie-Cox had 21 points and Melvin Johnson added 19 points.
- Davidson held off Richmond in the Atlantic 10 as Peyton Aldridge had 24 points, seven rebounds and four assists.
- Air Force beat UNLV in the Mountain West as Jacob Van led the way with 21 points.
- Valparaiso won in the Horizon League over Cleveland State as Alec Peters had 15 points and Tevonn Walker added 13 points.
- Staying in the Horizon League, Detroit outlasted Northern Kentucky as Paris Bass had 24 points and 12 rebounds.
- Ball State was a winner in the MAC over Miami (OH) as Franko House had 19 points. House went 13-for-13 from the free-throw line.
- Galal Cancer had 24 points as Kent State outlasted Western Michigan for an overtime MAC win.
- Akron beat Buffalo in the MAC as Antino Jackson finished with 20 points.
- Central Michigan also won in the MAC tonight as they beat Toledo. Braylon Rayson finished with 26 points and nine rebounds.
- Wesley Person had 28 points and seven rebounds as Troy earned a Sun Belt road win over South Alabama.
- Northern Illinois beat Bowling Green in the MAC as Aaric Armstead had 14 points.