Sim racers join Formula E teams ahead of Las Vegas eSports event
Ten sim racers have joined up with teams on the Formula E grid ahead of the Las Vegas eSports event at the beginning of January.
Formula E announced last summer that it would be holding a non-championship event in Las Vegas that would pit its drivers against racers from the virtual realm.
With $1 million in prize money on offer, the race is poised to be one of the most lucrative eSports events.
Ahead of the event in Las Vegas, each of the 10 of the sim racers that have qualified have been paired up with a Formula E team.
“I’d like to officially welcome the sim racers who qualified through the Road to Vegas Challenge to participate in the inaugural Visa Vegas eRace,” Formula E CEO Alejandro Agag said.
“I’ve been following the progress of the sim racers throughout the qualification process, and I can’t wait to see them on the same track as the rest of the Formula E grid.
“Accessibility and fan engagement are two of the key cornerstones of Formula E, and what better way to promote this than getting the sim racers to compete in the same colours as their Formula E counterparts - it will be fascinating to see who comes out on top.”
The sim racers in the event are:
- Gregor Huttu (FIN) - Panasonic Jaguar Racing
- Aleksi Uusi-Jaakkola (FIN) - Andretti
- Olli Pahkala (FIN) - Mahindra
- Enzo Bonito (ITA) - Techeetah
- David Greco (ITA) - Renault e.dams
- Graham Carroll (GBR) - DS Virgin Racing
- Aleksi Elomaa (FIN) - Venturi
- Bono Huis (NED) - Faraday Future Dragon Racing
- Petar Brljak (CRO) - NextEV NIO
- Patrick Holzmann (DEU) - ABT Schaeffler Audi Sport
The Vegas eRace will take place on January 7.