Five fans treated, one at hospital, for injuries from Austin Dillon’s airborne crash at Daytona
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Daytona International Speedway president Joie Chitwood said one fan was in stable condition in a local hospital after being struck by debris from a last-lap wreck in the Coke Zero 400.
A track spokesman announced at 4:50 a.m. ET Monday that the fan had been treated and released from Halifax Health Medical Center.
Chitwood said four more fans in the grandstands were treated and released on property. Eight more declined treatment.
The crash occurred after Austin Dillon’s No. 3 Chevrolet got airborne and sailed into the catchfence on the last lap of the rain-delayed event, which ended at 2:44 a.m. after starting nearly three hours late.
It was the second time in two years that fans were injured after a car went airborne into the catchfence. During the season-opening race of the Xfinity Series in February 2013, debris from Kyle Larson’s car left more than two dozen fans hurt, including several seriously.
Daytona made improvements to its catch fence in the aftermath and as part of its ongoing $400-million Daytona Rising renovation project, including moving the grandstands back from the barrier. Daytona also banned people from walking on the “rim road” that separates the fence from the grandstands.
“We’re really proud that the fence worked, and any additional enhancement did its job as well,” Chitwood said. “We’ll round up engineering team to see if there’s more we can learn to get better the next time.”