Atlanta, New Hampshire Motor Speedway enter Super Bowl wager
A lot will be at stake next Sunday - honor, bragging rights and free NASCAR tickets.
When the Atlanta Falcons and New England Patriots face off in Houston for Super Bowl 51, they won’t just be representing their cities and fans.
Thanks to a friendly wager, they’ll also be representing their closest NASCAR tracks, Atlanta Motor Speedway and New Hampshire Motor Speedway. Both facilities are owned by Speedway Motorsports Inc.
AMS is located in Hampton, Georgia, about 50 minutes south of where the Falcons have played at the Georgia Dome in downtown Atlanta. NHMS is in Loudon, New Hampshire, 107 miles north of Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots play in Foxboro, Massachusetts.
David McGrath, NHMS’ executive vice president and general manager and Ed Clark, Atlanta’s president and general manager, have agreed to a wager that would impact the next Cup Series victory lane celebration at either track and give a group of fans tickets to other’s next race.
Here are the stakes of the wager, which will be decided beginning at 6:30 p.m. ET next Sunday on Fox.
If the Falcons win:
- Atlanta Falcons flag to be hung outside New Hampshire Motor Speedway office building the following two days and during the New Hampshire 301 NASCAR race week July 10-16.
- McGrath will present Clark and the March 5 Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 race winner with New England lobster in Victory Lane while wearing a Falcons jersey.
- Four Falcons and Atlanta Motor Speedway fans will win premium tickets to the July 16 New Hampshire 301 at New Hampshire Motor Speedway ($500 value).
If the Patriots win:
- New England Patriots flag will be hung outside Atlanta Motor Speedway office building the following two days and during the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 NASCAR race week Feb. 27-March 5.
- Ed Clark will present David McGrath and the July 16 New Hampshire 301 race winner with Georgia peaches in Victory Lane while wearing a Patriots jersey.
- Four Patriots and New Hampshire Motor Speedway fans will win premium tickets to the March 5 Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500 at Atlanta Motor Speedway ($400 value).
The trash talking has already commenced between the two tracks and the executives.