Los Angeles Chargers
Chargers Clips
Last month, former NFL defensive end and former ESPN/Fox broadcaster Marcellus Wiley was arrested in Florida for domestic violence. Via TMZ, the charges have now been dropped.
In court documents, prosecutors informed the court that the case would not proceed, explaining that “testimonial evidence received is not corroborated by any physical or other evidence and is therefore insufficient to obtain a conviction.”
Wiley’s wife, Annemarie, claimed that Wiley had used “one finger to sternly and intentionally poke her in the cheek.”
Annemarie Wiley thereafter filed for divorce and applied for a restraining order, accusing him of past instances of physical abuse and rape. Marcellus Wiley strongly denied the allegations.
On Twitter, Marcellus Wiley celebrated the latest development. “Welcome to the Real HouseLies of Annemarie,” he said, among other things.
The simple truth as to criminal cases is that most prosecutors won’t proceed unless they believe the evidence supports a finding of guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. With no physical evidence or injury and no corroboration of her claims, it would be very difficult (if not impossible) to get a jury to find that her allegations and his denial combine to satisfy the very high burden of proof.
Wiley spent 10 years in the NFL, playing for the Bills, Chargers, Cowboys, and Jaguars. He worked for ESPN through 2018, and he then worked at Fox Sports until 2022.
Chargers running back Omarion Hampton thinks the arrival of offensive coordinator Mike McDaniel is going to be a good thing for the team’s running backs and McDaniel’s plans for the position came up during a press conference on Monday.
McDaniel was asked if he plans to use Hampton as a workhorse back in the 2025 first-round pick’s second NFL season. McDaniel said “there’s going to be opportunities for him to have a ton of touches,” but that he also plans to use Keaton Mitchell and Kimani Vidal on a weekly basis and that the usage will be dictated on the fly rather than scripted in advance.
“There’s good news and bad news, fantasy owners,” McDaniel said. “Good news is I see all three of those guys producing at a very high level. The bad news is I can’t tell you which games those are. . . . Kinda play hot hand once you’re into games. Specifically, I’ll use all three of those guys probably every game. The relative ratio that will be based on opponent and what we’re asking the guys to do.”
The news might not be good for anyone drafting their fantasy teams, but a robust run game will be good for the Chargers and quarterback Justin Herbert regardless of who is spearheading the attack.
The Chargers have added some depth on defense.
Los Angeles announced on Monday that the club has signed outside linebacker Andre Carter.
Carter, 26, entered the league as an undrafted free agent in 2023 out of Army. He’s spent time with the Vikings, Raiders, Lions, Dolphins, and Commanders — though he’s appeared in games for just Minnesota and Las Vegas.
As a corresponding move, the Chargers have waived receiver Mante’ Morrow.
Two former Chargers players will be joining the team’s Hall of Fame this year.
The Chargers announced that kicker John Carney and wide receiver Anthony Miller will be inducted during their Week 9 game against the Texans. The Chargers will wear navy throwback uniforms for that game.
Carney played for the Chargers from 1990-2000 and is the franchise’s career scoring leader. Carney also played for the Bucs, Rams, Saints, Jaguars, Chiefs and Giants during a career that ran through 2010 and is fifth in scoring in NFL history.
Miller was a 1988 first-round pick and he spent six years with the Chargers. He made four Pro Bowls while compiling 374 catches for 5,582 yards and 37 touchdowns in a Chargers uniform.
The Chargers may have another injury concern along their offensive line.
Via multiple reporters on the scene, left tackle Rashawn Slater exited practice with an apparent injury and did not return. While he was briefly in the medical tent, he came out of it and watched the rest of practice.
Trey Pipkins and Branson Taylor played left tackle in Slater’s stead for the rest of practice.
While head coach Jim Harbaugh spoke to the media before practice, quarterback Justin Herbert did not seem overly concerned after the session.
“He said he wanted to be out there, so I think that’s OK,” Herbert said, via Kris Rhim of ESPN.
Slater is returning from a torn patellar tendon suffered during last year’s training camp, which kept him out for the entire 2025 season. The No. 13 overall pick of the 2021 draft, Slater signed a four-year contract extension with the club prior to his injury last summer.
Defensive end Joey Bosa remains a free agent and apparently it’s going to remain that way for the foreseeable future.
49ers defensive end Nick Bosa said May 28 that his older brother was “working on his golf game” and not thinking about football. That hasn’t changed, Nick Bosa said on the Murph & Markus Show this week.
“Joey might need to start training if that’s going to be the case,” Nick Bosa said, suggesting Joey Bosa was nine holes into his golf outing on Monday.
Nick Bosa added, “No, probably not,” when asked if news could be coming about Joey Bosa returning to the NFL.
Joey Bosa, 31, has not had a double-digit sack season since 2021. The five-time Pro Bowler has only 19 across the past four seasons, including five in 2025 for the Bills.
He was 35th on PFT’s list of top-100 free agents this offseason.
The only question left is: Is Joey Bosa retired or would he consider joining a contender late in the season or next season?
Former Chargers linebacker Billy Ray Smith Jr. died Wednesday, his family announced. He was 64.
“It is with profound sadness that we share the loss of our beloved Billy Ray Smith Jr., who passed away peacefully surrounded by family,” the family said in a statement. “Billy Ray faced his long journey with dementia caused by CTE with unmatched bravery, dignity, and strength.
“Billy Ray brought so much joy, light, and laughter to the world as a devoted father, husband, son, and loyal friend. On the NFL gridiron for a decade with the Chargers, and decades that followed in sports broadcasting, Billy Ray earned deep respect from teammates, colleagues, and fans, who he cherished in return.
“He leaves an irreplaceable void in our lives. His undeniable legacy will live forever in our hearts, and we thank our incredible community for the outpouring of love and support.”
The Chargers made Smith the fifth overall pick in 1983 out of the University of Arkansas, where he was a two-time unanimous All-American. He finished eighth in Defensive Rookie of the Year voting.
He played all 10 seasons of his NFL career with the Chargers, totaling 26.5 sacks, 15 interceptions and 13 forced fumbles in 126 games.
Smith was a member of the Chargers’ 50th Anniversary Team.
After his retirement, Smith became a sports broadcaster on TV, radio and online.
The Chargers made the release of offensive guard Ben Cleveland official on Tuesday.
They signed long snapper Peter Bowden in a corresponding move.
Bowden returns to the Chargers after spending the end of the 2025 season on the team’s practice squad.
He entered the NFL as an undrafted free agent in 2024 with Green Bay, spending training camp with the Packers. Later that season, Bowden joined the Jaguars’ practice squad.
Bowden snapped collegiately at Wisconsin, appearing in 39 career games from 2021-23. He was a finalist for the Patrick Mannelly Award in 2023, which recognizes college football’s top long snapper. That season, Bowden snapped on an operation that helped Badgers kicker Nathanial Vakos earn All-Big Ten recognition.
The Chargers opened up a spot on their 90-man roster ahead of training camp.
The NFL’s transaction report for Monday shows that they have released offensive lineman Ben Cleveland. Cleveland signed to the team’s practice squad late last season and re-signed in January.
Cleveland was 2021 third-round pick in Baltimore and he remained with the Ravens until he was released last season. His departure came after he served a three-game suspension for a violation of the league’s substance abuse policy.
Cleveland appeared in 64 regular season games and five postseason contests for the Ravens over his five seasons with the team. He started seven times during the regular season and was primarily used as a guard by Baltimore.
The Chargers made a roster move ahead of the start of their training camp.
The NFL’s transaction report for Friday shows that they placed offensive tackle Isaiah World on the non-football injury list.
World signed with the Chargers after going undrafted out of Oregon. He tore his ACL during the team’s college football playoff loss to Indiana, so it may be some time before he’s ready to get back on the field.
World played three seasons at Nevada before transferring to Oregon. He started 14 games at left tackle during his only season with the Ducks.
Chargers rookies reported to training camp this week. They will have their full squad in camp on July 28 with their first practice set for the next day.