Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Filly injured in race and euthanized at Santa Anita

Santa Anita Fatalities Horse Racing

FILE - This March 7, 2019, file photo, shows the empty home stretch at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif. A filly broke both front legs at the end of a workout on the main dirt track at Santa Anita and has been euthanized, becoming the 22nd horse to suffer catastrophic injuries since Dec. 26. Trainer and owner David Bernstein says the 3-year-old filly named Princess Lili B broke down just past the finish line on Thursday morning, March 14, 2019. (AP Photo/Damian Dovarganes, File)


ARCADIA, Calif. -- A 2-year-old filly injured her right front leg less than a half-mile from the finish line in a race at Santa Anita and was euthanized, the 36th horse to die at the Southern California track since December.

The incident occurred in Sunday’s third race. It was the second fatality in three days and the fourth since the fall meet began Sept. 27.

Santa Anita is hosting the Breeders’ Cup world championships this week for a record 10th time.

Bye Bye Beautiful was pulled up past the half-mile pole by jockey Tiago Pereira. Track veterinarian Dr. Dana Stead saw that the filly had sustained a right front leg lateral condylar fracture that involved the medial sesamoid bone. Because of the severity of the injury, Stead made the decision to euthanize the horse, according to a statement from The Stronach Group, which owns the track.

Pereira wasn’t injured.

Bye Bye Beautiful will undergo a necropsy at UC Davis, which is required by the California Horse Racing Board.

The filly was making her second start for trainer Eric Kruljac. She was fourth in her first start last month at Los Alamitos in Orange County.

On Friday, a 6-year-old mare named GQ Covergirl injured her front legs on the training track and was euthanized.

Ky. Colonel, a 5-year-old gelding, collapsed and died from an apparent heart attack while jogging on the training track Oct. 6.

Satchel Paige, a 3-year-old gelding, was euthanized after breaking his left front ankle during a race Oct. 19.