Attorneys for former Auburn TE Landon Rice say rape allegations are false
Last week Auburn tight end Landon Rice abruptly left the program without much warning. Head coach Gus Malzahn said the departure was due to personal reasons, but soon after that came word Rice was accused of first-degree rape. As is often the case, attorneys representing Rice have disputed those allegations.
“Landon was projected to start as tight end for the Auburn Tigers, but two days before their opening game against Clemson [in the season opener], false accusations and fundamental unfairness combined to prevent that from happening,” Augusta Dowd, an attorney with the Birmingham-based law firm White, Arnold & Dowd, said in a statement Tuesday (as quoted by Al.com). “For the past several days, Landon and his family have been subjected to prejudicial and incorrect commentary in an environment that has not permitted them a full opportunity to be heard.”
Rice has not been charged with any crime at this time.
“Landon has not been charged with any criminal offense. When the true facts are revealed, those who made false accusations and vilified Landon will be held accountable,” the statement added. “Landon and his family appreciate and respect coach (Gus) Malzahn and his staff. Along with Landon’s teammates and friends, they have helped Landon through this difficult time. Landon and his family are confident they will prevail. They have been sustained by the truth, their faith, and great members of the Auburn family.
“The legal team will deal with the false accusations and be ready, willing, and able to demonstrate, in the appropriate venue, that Landon has been unfairly treated.”
Rice has been accused of raping a 19-year old woman back in April. A temporary order of protection has been granted for the woman and a hearing is scheduled for October 4.