Courtesy of our friends over at UND.com, Jack Nolan -- fresh off taking Scott Martin’s best shot -- brings us the first practice report from South Bend, when the Irish took to the field early Wednesday morning to kick off spring practice.
Since these are the best practice videos we’ll get all spring, consider this the way-too-in-depth breakdown of the tape:
- 0:40 -- Not only does Davaris Daniels look quick off the blocks, but that’s nice work from converted quarterback Luke Massa, who seems to fit in nicely at wideout.
- 1:15 -- Battle of the quarterback dump-off throws goes to Everett Golson. Runner-up goes to Andrew Hendrix, who looks just a shade better than Tommy Rees, while Gunner Kiel looks a little raw. (Scientific polling, obviously...)
- 1:20 -- Is that Brian Kelly teaching quarterbacks or Dizzy Dean. How about those front leg mechanics?
- 1:38 -- Begin drooling over the smoothness of Everett Golson.
- 1:59 -- Nice catch, Luke Massa.
- 2:20 -- TJ Jones with a step on Lo Wood deep.
- 2:25 -- Nice coverage by Josh Atkinson on Daniel Smith.
- 2:33 -- I don’t care if it’s against a walk-on wide receiver, that’s pretty nice athleticism by running back-turned-cornerback Cam McDaniel. Great hips and nice work turning his head and going up to get the football.
- 2:47 -- Nick Martin: That’s some filthy hair. Well done.
- 3:05 -- Might be time for a nickname: Harry “Hot Feet” Hiestand.
Feel free to add anything I might have missed.