Carlos Beltran says he’d accept a trade to Boston
Carlos Beltran hasn’t been shy about answering trade questions as he perhaps enters his final weeks with the Mets. After indicating last week that he’d be open to a trade to San Francisco, he came out Monday and said Boston is on his list as well.
“They’re in first place,” he said. “That’s a no-brainer.”
The Red Sox have stuck with the struggling J.D. Drew in right field, even though he’s driven in just 21 runs in 73 games. They might be open to making a change if the right opportunity comes along. Still, there’s nothing to suggest they’ve engaged the Mets in talks regardling Beltran. Not only would the $6 million left on his deal be an obstacle, but such an acquisition could also have luxury-tax ramifications for a Boston team that’s been straddling the line.
Beltran, because he’s spent 10 years in the league and the last five with the same team, has full no-trade protection.