PHT Morning Skate: Ilya Kovalchuk’s expectations; bagels for John Tavares?
Welcome to the PHT Morning Skate, a collection of links from around the hockey world. Have a link you want to submit? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Our own Adam Gretz takes a look at what the NHL can expect out of Ilya Kovalchuk’s return to the league. (Sporting News)
• Better than the money? John Tavares promised a life full of bagels if he re-signs on Long Island. (NHL.com)
• The blockbuster deal that shook up the draft has implications on the Calgary Flames and their salary cap situation. (Flames Nation)
• Sportsnet’s Jeff Marek looks at his favorite under-the-radar picks from the 2018 NHL Draft. (Sportsnet)
• Ilya Kovalchuk’s return to the NHL with the L.A. Kings means the Kings haven’t been able to qualify some of their restricted free agents, including Toby Rieder. (LA Kings Insider)
• Penguins agree to terms with forwards Simon and Sprong on two-year contract. (Penguins.com)
• How the USA development program became the world’s best junior hockey pipeline. (The Score)
• An elite American defenseman? Introducing Quinn Hughes, the NHL’s next hot American defense prospect. (Sporting News)
• Five reasons why the trade floodgates in the NHL are set to open. (Sportsnet)
• Lessons learned about the Canadiens’ from the NHL draft. (Montreal Gazette)
• John Carlson re-signs with the Caps: What’s next? (ESPN)
• A complete list of those who received qualifying offers in the NHL on Monday. (NHL.com)
• The good, the bad and the ugly of NHL free agency (Featurd)