Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up

Man United-Bournemouth rescheduled for Tue. after Old Trafford bomb scare

Manchester United v A.F.C. Bournemouth - Premier League

MANCHESTER, UNITED KINGDOM - MAY 15: A general view as fans are evacuated from the ground prior to the Barclays Premier League match between Manchester United and AFC Bournemouth at Old Trafford on May 15, 2016 in Manchester, England. (Photo by Alex Morton/Getty Images)

Getty Images

The season finale fixture between Manchester United and Bournemouth has been rescheduled for Tuesday afternoon (3 p.m. ET) after the game, initially scheduled to be played Sunday at 10 a.m. ET, was postponed due to a bomb scare inside Old Trafford and the stadium consequently evacuated.

[ FOLLOW: All of PST’s PL coverage ]

The Premier League issued the following statement late Sunday night UK time:

“We can confirm that today’s abandoned fixture between Manchester United and AFC Bournemouth will be played on Tuesday 17 May at 8:00pm.

“We would like to thank Manchester United’s staff, the police and other emergency services for all their efforts today as well as rearranging the match for this coming Tuesday.

“Both Manchester ‎United and AFC Bournemouth’s management has been extremely helpful in reaching a swift resolution, which is the best possible given today’s events.
Greater Manchester Police have since confirmed the device, which was found in an Old Trafford toilet, was left inside the famous venue on accident following a training exercise held for safety responders in recent days:

Assistant Chief Constable John O’Hare from Greater Manchester Police said: “I am grateful to the Manchester United and Bournemouth supporters for their support and assistance today.

“Following today’s controlled explosion, we have since found out that the item was a training device which had accidentally been left by a private company following a training exercise involving explosive search dogs.

“Whilst this item did not turn out to be a viable explosive, on appearance this device was as real as could be, and the decision to evacuate the stadium was the right thing to do, until we could be sure that people were not at risk.”
Follow @AndyEdMLS