Where do MLS clubs rank in North, South America? This list may surprise you...
Forbes have released a list of the most valuable soccer teams in the Americas.
The publication have ranked the top clubs from North, Central and South America in accordance with their overall wealth and there are some pretty surprising results.
[ RELATED: Latest MLS news ]
Brazilian giants Corinthians, Gremio and Palmerias lead the way as the top three.
But Major League Soccer fares pretty well in comparison to its neighbors from Mexico, as six MLS teams are in the list with the New York Red Bulls leading the way as the fifth richest team in the Americas, then Sporting Kansas City and LA Galaxy are in eighth and ninth respectively. Liga MX has seven sides, while Brazil leads the way with 11 teams out of the top 30.
In the report Forbes listed their three factors they took into account as “cost or quotation for your stadium (those tha belong to the club), the price of the squad of players and the value of the brand.”
So, there you have it. Below you will find the top 30 teams in the Americas listed by their total wealth.
Let us know in the comments section below if you agree with these calculations.
Top 30 soccer clubs in the Americas
2. Gremio/Brazil/$354.4 m
3. Palmerias/Brazil/$343 m
5. New York Red Bulls/USA/$250.5m
8. Sporting Kansas City/USA/$229.1m
9. LA Galaxy/USA/$207.6m
10. Sao Paulo/Brazil/$188.4m
11. Atletico Paranaense/Brazil/$181.2m
13. Santos Laguna/Mexico/$146.2m
14. Boca Juniors/Argentina/$119.8m
15. Deportivo Cali/Colombia/$119.3m
16. River Plate/Argentina/114.5 m
18. Cruzeiro/Brazil/88 m
19.San Lorenzo/Argentina/82.7 m
20. Atlético Mineiro/Brazil/81 m
21. Seattle Sounders/USA/80.6 m
22. Fluminense/Brazil/79.9 m
23. Cruz Azul/Mexico/66.3 m
24. Tigres/Mexico/65 m
25. Montreal Impact/Canada/63.7 m
26. Independiente/Argentina/63.3 m
27. Tijuana Xolos/Mexico/$63.2 m
28. Emelec/Ecuador/$62.1 m
29 .Columbus Crew/USA/$60.3 m
30. Monterrey/Mexico/$56.3 m