Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
Odds by

    Aaron Judge (rib) not cleared for baseball activity

    Link copied to clipboard!

    NYY Right Fielder #99
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Aaron Judge (rib) underwent followup imaging earlier this week that revealed continued healing, but he wasn’t cleared to resume baseball activities.

    Yankees manager Aaron Boone reiterated on Friday that he believes Judge will return this season, but he remains without a definitive return timetable. The 34-year-old franchise icon told reporters that it’ll be a couple weeks before he undergoes re-imaging to determine his next steps. He remains limited to lower-body work and neck exercises, with no upper-body or overhead lifting at this juncture. He’s been on the shelf with a rib fracture since early June. It’s pure speculation at this point, but even in a best-case scenario, Judge appears unlikely to return before the middle or end of August. There’s also a realistic chance his absence stretches into September. Fantasy managers shouldn’t expect him back anytime soon.
Could Walters' investigation impact the Dodgers?
David Samson joins the Dan Le Batard show to discuss what's next for Mark Walters amidst the ongoing federal investigation for multi-billion dollar fraud, and how it could impact the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Related Player News

  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Judge remains without a definitive return timetable, but has been trending in the right direction over the last couple weeks. The 34-year-old fantasy superstar has been on the shelf with a rib fracture since early June. He’s likely going to need at least a couple additional weeks to ramp up a hitting progression, and get back up to game speed, before returning to New York’s lineup. There’s optimism that he’ll make it back for fantasy managers at some point in September.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    It’s a start. Judge, who last took the field May 31 against the A’s, has yet to resume swinging a bat, so it’s safe to rule out an August return here.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    Yankees manager Aaron Boone said that Judge was given the green light after followup scans on his right ribs. It’s a significant step towards making it back to New York at some point in the final two months. The 34-year-old generational talent remains without a definitive return timeline and he’s likely to require several weeks to ramp-up from a physical standpoint following the lengthy layoff. Judge has been on the injured list with a stress fracture in his right ribs since early June. There should be a clearer idea of his next steps in the coming weeks.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    There’s nothing new from an update standpoint except that Judge doesn’t appear poised to undergo followup imaging at any point soon. The 34-year-old generational talent has yet to be cleared to resume baseball activities as he recovers from a rib fracture that put him on the injured list back in early June. At this point, fantasy managers shouldn’t expect him back until some point in late August.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    Specialist Dr. Gregory Pearl got back to the Yankees on Saturday and basically confirmed Friday’s news. “There’s healing going on, which is good, but he’s still not able to start any baseball activities or anything,” Boone told reporters. “He needs to get to a point where he’s asymptomatic, where you really start ramping up more upper-body stuff.” Boone did say that the good news was that the pain is starting to subside for Judge, and that it’s more of a dull pain than the sharp one that has bothered the slugger. Judge was moved to the 60-day injured list that won’t allow him to return until the beginning of August, but there’s a good chance he’s not back until closer to the start of September.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    It’s merely a procedural move with Judge still recovering from a rib fracture that put him on the injured list back in early June. The 34-year-old generational talent underwent followup imaging earlier this week that showed continued healing, but hasn’t been cleared to resume baseball activities. There is no official timetable for his return and it looks like he won’t make it back to New York until at least mid-to-late August, even in a best-case scenario. There’s also a realistic chance his absence stretches into September. Simply put, fantasy managers shouldn’t expect him back anytime soon.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    “I don’t think we’re anticipating it’s coming back clean,” Cashman said. “I think we’re anticipating and hopeful that it’s showing the healing process.” This broadly keeps the expected timeline in line. Judge hasn’t begun baseball activities yet and figures to need some time to ramp up. Assuming the imaging comes back well enough for him to begin activities, Judge is probably on pace for a late July or early August return.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    Boone added that Judge, who was initially expected to miss 4–6 weeks with a fractured rib in early June, is beginning to feel better but still hasn’t resumed baseball activities. The 34-year-old will need a couple weeks to ramp up, making a return to New York unlikely until late July or early August. There should be a clearer idea of his return timeline and next steps in a couple weeks.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    He’ll be out for at least 4-6 weeks and will be re-evaluated afterwards, likely pushing his return past the All-Star break if not longer. Judge’s absence should lower runs and RBI expectations for the rest of the Yankees lineup. Spencer Jones figures to be his direct replacement in the lineup for now, at least until Jasson Dominguez is healthy. Judge had a down May while playing through this injury.
  • NYY Right Fielder #99
    The Yankees said that Judge “is expected to return at some point this season.” Still, he’s pretty clearly done through the All-Star break at least and quite possible until August. This probably means more José Caballero in right field and Anthony Volpe at shortstop for now. Once Jasson Domínguez comes off the injured list, he could get a chance to play regularly in the outfield. It’s a significant loss for fantasy managers but it sounds like there’s a strong possibility Judge is able to return at some point in the second half.

Rotoworld

  • LAA Shortstop #9
    Player Stats
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Zach Neto had a monster day at the dish in Thursday’s 18-3 victory over the Astros, going 5-for-6 with a homer, double, two runs scored and a whopping seven RBI.

    Neto opened the scoring in the top half of the first inning with an RBI single off of Peter Lambert. He then chipped in an RBI single in the fourth inning that extended the Halos’ lead to 6-2. Neto broke the game wide open with a 428-foot (107.6-mph EV) three-run blast off of Bryan King in the fifth inning that made it a 14-2 ballgame. Just for fun, he added on a two-run double in the seventh inning and a single off of LaMonte Wade Jr. in the ninth. The only thing he did wrong on the night was getting caught stealing for the 11th time on the season. With his impressive five-hit night, the 25-year-old shortstop is now slashing .231/.314/.422 with 21 homers, 61 RBI and 17 stolen bases.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Vaughn Grissom went 3-for-6 with a double and three RBI in a lopsided victory over the Astros on Thursday evening in Houston.

    Grissom delivered an RBI single in the second inning that tied the game at 2-2, then came around to score the go-ahead run on a bunt by Tyler Heineman. He then added a two-run double in the fourth that pushed their advantage to 10-2. The 25-year-old has at least held his own at the MLB level this season, slashing .249/.308/.377 with seven long balls and 50 RBI in 329 plate appearances.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Moises Ballesteros went 2-for-6 with a double, two runs scored and two RBI as the Angels walloped the Astros on Thursday.

    The 22-year-old backstop served as the Angels’ designated hitter in this one. He sparked a three-run rally with a leadoff double in the second inning and scored on an RBI knock by Vaughn Grissom. He then added a two-run single in the fourth that increased their lead to 8-2 before scoring on Grissom’s two-run double. It has been a rough year overall at the plate for Ballesteros, slashing .208/.280/.325 with six homers and 25 RBI in 236 plate appearances between the Cubs and Angels.
  • LAA Starting Pitcher #21
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Grayson Rodriguez was terrific in Thursday night’s victory over the Astros, allowing just two unearned runs on five hits over seven strong innings.

    Rodriguez struck out six batters on the night while issuing a pair of walks. It looked like it was going to be another rough outing for Rodriguez as he walked the first two batters to start the game and allowed a single to Isaac Paredes to load the bases with nobody out. He rallied to escape that threat with only a pair of unearned runs allowed and went on to allow just one hit over the next six innings. The 26-year-old hurler got 12 swings and misses on 99 offerings on the night, posting a solid CSW of 31 percent. He’ll try to keep the good times rolling and further improve upon his unsightly 6.41 ERA and 1.53 WHIP when he does battle against the Guardians on Tuesday.
  • HOU Designated Hitter #44
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Yordan Alvarez doubled, walked and scored a run as the Astros were clobbered by the Angels on Thursday evening in Houston.

    Alvarez drew a walk in the home half of the first inning and scored on a wild pitch. He then blooped a double down the left field line to start the third inning, but never advanced past second base. He was then pulled in the fifth inning to give him a bit of a rest, finishing the night 1-for-1 officially. He’s having an unbelievable season at the dish, slashing a monstrous .319/.432/.613 with 36 homers and 88 RBI in 553 plate appearances.
  • HOU Starting Pitcher #20
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Peter Lambert was obliterated in Thursday night’s loss to the Angels, surrendering nine runs on eight hits over 3 2/3 innings of work.

    Yikes. Lambert also issued a pair of walks while striking out three batters in the ballgame. The Halos got to him early and often in this one, striking for one in the first, three in the second, and five more while chasing him in the fourth — all without the benefit of a home run. Lambert got nine whiffs on 79 pitches in the forgettable outing, posting a CSW of only 24 percent. This wipes away a lot of the good work that he had done this season, as Lambert now sports a 3.68 ERA, 1.20 WHIP and a 120/48 K/BB ratio over 122 1/3 innings through his first 22 starts. He’ll try to turn the page as he does battle against the Yankees in New York on Wednesday. Fantasy managers should probably want to sit that one out after this miserable performance.
  • Link copied to clipboard!

    Corey Seager belted a solo home run in the third inning on Thursday, powering the Rangers to a 2-0 victory over the visiting Nationals.

    Seager swatted a 2-2 fastball from Andrew Alvarez for an opposite-field 382-foot (103.4-mph EV) solo shot in the third inning that gave the Rangers an early 1-0 advantage that they wouldn’t relinquish. The 32-year-old shortstop also doubled in the ballgame, finishing the night 2-for-4. He’s now slashing .218/.315/.415 with 13 long balls and 31 RBI on the season.
  • TEX Left Fielder #36
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Wyatt Langford drew a walk and swiped his 10th base of the season on Thursday as the Rangers eked out a victory over the Nationals.

    Langford worked Clayton Beeter for a one-out walk in the seventh inning and promptly swiped second base to get himself into scoring position, but the Rangers couldn’t cash him in from there. He’s having a solid all-around season at the dish, slashing .251/.318/.454 with 14 homers, 33 RBI and 10 stolen bases in his first 324 plate appearances.
  • TEX Relief Pitcher #67
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Jacob Latz closed out the Nationals on Thursday evening, protecting a two-run lead to notch his 25th save of the season.

    The task became a bit easier for Latz after the Rangers tacked on an insurance run in the eighth inning, giving him an extra run to work with. He did issue a one-out walk to Harry Ford, but nothing came of it as Latz struck out each of the other three hitters that he faced. The 30-year-old southpaw has now converted 25 of his first 28 save chances on the season while posting a minuscule 1.75 ERA and a 61/15 K/BB ratio across 57 innings of work. He has been an absolute gold mine for fantasy managers who picked him up early in the season.
  • TEX Starting Pitcher #48
    Player Stats
    Link copied to clipboard!

    Jacob deGrom delivered a brilliant performance in Thursday night’s victory over the Nationals, striking out 10 batters over six innings of shutout baseball.

    The 38-year-old right-hander allowed just one hit in the contest — a one-out single by Brady House in the second inning — while issuing one base on balls. The Rangers only gave him one run of support in this one and deGrom made sure that it stood up, as no Nationals’ hitter advanced past second base against him in the ballgame. He generated 17 swings and misses on 94 offerings — nine on his slider — while registering a strong CSW of 34 percent. Now 9-8 on the season, he’ll look to further improve upon his 3.78 ERA and 1.13 WHIP when he takes on the White Sox in Chicago on Tuesday.