Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
Odds by

Rotoworld

  • ATL Catcher
    Personalize your Rotoworld feed by favoriting players
    The Braves have extended the contracts of general manager Frank Wren and manager Fredi Gonzalez.
    Braves team president John Schuerholz did not reveal the contract terms, but Wren and Gonzalez were both entering the final years of their previous contracts. Wren took over for Schuerholz as GM in October of 2007 while Gonzalez is entering his fourth season as manager of the Braves.
  • MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro reports that the Marlins have had “multiple conversations” with Fredi Gonzalez regarding their vacant third-base coaching position.
    Gonzalez most recently managed the Braves before being fired in mid-May. Prior to holding that gig, he served as Marlins manager from 2007 to 2010. Per Frisaro, the 52-year-old Gonzalez continues to consider all options, including broadcasting and other coaching opportunities.
  • According to MLB.com’s Mark Bowman, Braves officials “have been forced to at least discuss whether it makes sense to make a managerial change.”
    No manager can be expected to win with this current Braves roster, but then again nobody expected Fredi Gonzalez to survive the club’s aggressive top-to-bottom rebuild. 2016 is Fredi’s sixth year on the job and the Braves stand 7-20 on the season after falling 8-0 to the Mets on Wednesday afternoon. It might not be fair, but maybe it is time for something different. Bowman says bullpen coach Eddie Perez would likely be given managerial duties on an interim basis.
  • The Braves have fired manager Fredi Gonzalez, according to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
    A change has been rumored in recent weeks, so the Braves decided to put an end to the speculation. It’s obviously not Gonzalez’s fault that the Braves own a major-league worst 9-28 record. You can only do so much with this roster. But the powers that be felt that a shakeup was needed. Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports that Triple-A Gwinnett manager Brian Snitker will be his replacement.
  • The Braves have signed manager Fredi Gonzalez to a contract extension through 2016 with a club option for 2017.
    Pitching coach Roger McDowell, hitting coach Kevin Seitzer and the rest of the Braves’ coaching staff were extended, as well. Atlanta is a better-than-expected 42-47 this season and 400-337 since Gonzalez took the reins in 2011, although they’ve yet to win a postseason series over that span.
  • Fredi Gonzalez was ejected from Saturday’s game against the Cardinals for arguing a foul ball.
    Gonzalez was adamant, and appeared to have an argument, that Aaron Harang got a piece of a bunt attempt in which Andrelton Simmons was thrown out stealing third on. He’ll catch the rest of this one from the clubhouse.
  • John Coppolella has been promoted to general manager of the Braves.
    Coppolella had been serving as an assistant general manager under first-year president John Hart. When the Braves fired GM Frank Wren last September, they decided not to immediately fill the vacancy with the thought that Coppolella could eventually ascend into the role. He’s been handling the typical GM duties in Atlanta all year.
  • The Braves and Marlins will play a game in Fort Bragg, North Carolina on July 3.
    This will be the first MLB regular season game played at an active military installation. The game will be held at a 12,500-seat venue and is expected to be attended mostly by soldiers. “I thank the Braves and the Marlins for their participation and all of our clubs and players for contributing to this gesture, which will stand as a fitting new chapter in the national pastime’s proud and distinguished military history,” said commissioner Rob Manfred. The 8 p.m. ET game will be broadcast on ESPN.
  • Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan reports that the Braves have offered John Hart their full-time general manager position.
    He was elevated from senior adviser to interim GM on Monday when the team fired Frank Wren. Hart, of course, has tons of past GM experience between the Indians and Rangers. According to Passan, the 66-year-old has told the Braves he “he needed to give it serious thought.” Passan adds that Hart would likely groom 35-year-old assistant GM John Coppolella to eventually take over.
  • Yahoo! Sports’ Jeff Passan reports that John Hart has turned down the Braves’ offer to be their full-time general manager.
    Hart was elevated from senior adviser to interim GM last month when the team fired Frank Wren. The Braves wanted Hart to take the full-time job and groom 35-year-old assistant GM John Coppolella to eventually take over, but he’s decided against it. The report also says the club is now focused on either Coppolella or Royals GM Dayton Moore for the job, though they’ve yet to talk to Moore and they doubt he’d leave Kansas City. Passan lists former Rockies GM Dan O’Dowd as someone the Braves’ brass has discussed, but it’s unclear whether he’d be considered for the job. Hart will stay on in an advisory role.