Bills to “delve more into” Tyrod Taylor extension talks this week
Bills quarterback Tyrod Taylor played more than half the snaps on offense for the Bills in 2015, which meant that the third year of the three-year deal he signed with the team last offseason voided and left Taylor with one year at $1 million and incentives left on his deal with the team.
That may not be the case for much longer, however. Speaking from the Scouting Combine in Indianapolis on Thursday, Bills General Manager Doug Whaley said that he has reached out to Taylor’s agents about an extension that would keep Taylor in Buffalo beyond the 2016 season and that he expects to have further discussions about an agreement this week.
“This is a week where we’ll delve more into it,” Taylor said, via Tyler Dunne of the Buffalo News. “We’ll see where it goes.”
Whaley said earlier this offseason that Taylor’s play in 2015 “warrants him a chance to earn a new contract,” which suggests there’s been a shift in thinking about Taylor’s extension because he hasn’t played any games for the Bills since early January. The biggest reason for such a shift would be a chance to buy lower on Taylor now than the team would be able to do if he progresses during his second year as a starter.