Romo: “We lost this game because of me”
1. Dez Bryant started the game on fire, but quickly wore out. He struggled with cramps or some other undefined injury. He also appeared to run the wrong route more than once.
Bryant’s talent is obvious, but he still has to prove his conditioning and durability is top shelf.
2. Romo’s mistakes will necessarily make us forget how well he played before the fourth quarter. He threw for more than 10 yards-per-attempt against the vaunted Jets secondary. Miles Austin and Jason Witten looked healthier than last year. Both competed well.
“We win that football game if I don’t do what I did. We lost this game because of me,” Romo said. (No argument here.)
3. It was the same old Romo and the same old Mark Sanchez. The Jets’ quarterback was shaky for much of the game, but improved after a rough start. With that said, Sanchez didn’t finish his chances to win the game.
In the final three Jets drives, they lost a fumble, punted, and gained two yards. That last “drive” set up Nick Folks’ kick. That somehow translated into a Jets comeback.
4. LaDainian Tomlinson was more valuable as a third down receiver than he was as a starter last year. He made a number of key plays, catching six passes for 73 yards. We’re still waiting to see Shonn Greene look like a starter. He rushed 10 times for 26 yards.
5. Plaxico Burress didn’t have a catch until the fourth quarter, but he beat up on the Cowboys backups for four catches, 72 yards and a score down the stretch.
6. Jets special teams coach Mike Westhoff just has a knack for dialing up the right punt blocks at the right moment. It’s amazing he still pulls it off.
7. The Cowboys have serious issues in the secondary if cornerback Orlando Scandrick is out for a while.
8. DeMarcus Ware had two sacks. Linebacker Sean Lee had 12 tackles and an interception. The Cowboys defense did look improved under Rob Ryan.