Skip navigation
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
NBCSports Header Logo

Crystal Palace 0-0 Burnley: Clarets rue missed PK after stalemate at Selhurst (video)

Crystal Palace v Burnley - Premier League

LONDON, ENGLAND - SEPTEMBER 13: Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace in action during the Barclays Premier League match between Crystal Palace and Burnley at Selhurst Park on September 13, 2014 in London, England. (Photo by Clive Rose/Getty Images)

Getty Images

Crystal Palace held on to draw 0-0 with Burnley at home, as the Eagles were let off the hook late in the game.

It was an even affair at Selhurst Park on Saturday as both teams failed to carve out real clear cut opportunities. However, in the late stages Palace gave away a penalty kick but Scott Arfield saw his effort saved by Julian Speroni as both teams are still searching for their first win of the season.

Neither manager will be happy with a point, especially Sean Dyche who will be livid that his side couldn’t secure what would have been a vital three points on the road.

[VIDEO: Premier League highlights]

[RELATED: Watch the full match replay]

Wilfried Zaha was at the heart of everything good about Palace in the early stages as the loan signing from Manchester United almost put them ahead after 10 minutes. Zaha jinxed past Burnley’s defense and his shot was saved by Heaton, then the rebound was scrambled clear to safety.

Burnley looked dangerous on the break as Scott Arfield put an effort over, as Palace then did the same via Dwight Gayle in a lively encounter down in South London.

Just before half time Danny Ings limped off injured for the Clarets and was replaced by Marvin Sordell in an increasingly even encounter.

[RELATED: Latest Premier League standings]

At the star of the second half Palace continued to press as Gayle couldn’t quite get on the end of a downwards header from Mile Jedinak at the back post. Palace continued to pepper Burnley’s goal as James McArthur and Jason Puncheon both went close. Lukas Jutkiewicz fired an effort into the side netting and Burnley pushed forward in search of their first win of the season.

They thought that had arrived with less than 10 minutes to go as Jutkiewicz was hauled to the ground by Jedinak and referee Mike Dean pointed to the spot. Arfield stepped up to take the spot kick but Julian Speroni saved the day for Palace as he tipped the ball wide.

Late on the Eagles tried to grab all three points but the match ended goalless with both teams grabbing a point.


Crystal Palace: Speroni, Ward, Delaney, Dann, Mariappa, Jedinak, McArthur, Puncheon, Zaha (Bolasie, 69'), Campbell (Doyle, 61'), Gayle (Williams, 75')

Burnley: Heaton, Trippier, Duff, Shackell, Mee, Arfield, Marney, Jones, Boyd, Jutkiewicz, Ings (Sordell, 42')

Follow @JPW_NBCSports