Skip navigation
Favorites
Sign up to follow your favorites on all your devices.
Sign up
NBCSports Header Logo

David Beckham: FIFA scandal is “disgusting”

Britain Beckham UNICEF

Former English national soccer team captain David Beckham watches a video clip being played on a big screen during a press conference to mark his 10 years as a goodwill ambassador for UNICEF and to launch ‘7' a new fund for children in danger across the globe in London, Monday, Feb. 9, 2015. (AP Photo/Matt Dunham)

AP

David Beckham is not happy with FIFA at all.

[ MORE: Fergie praises Mourinho ]

Speaking to the Radio Times in the UK in their Christmas issue, Beckham, 40, has hammered the scandal currently engulfing world soccer’s governing body and he believes this is only the start as dozens of high-ranking officials have been indicted by the U.S. and Swiss authorities since wide-ranging investigations were launched in May, 2015 following police raids in Zurich.

Beckham was asked if FIFA are turning a corner as they try to clean up their act ahead of a presidential election on Feb. 26, 2016 to name Sepp Blatter’s successor.

“No - they are just hitting the bend,” Beckham said. “It’s such a mess that it’s going to take a while to sort out. For me to see the game, the way it’s been treated and looked after, is devastating. It’s disgusting.”

He’s right. With Blatter embroiled in yet another scandal as the FBI probes a $100 million bribery case regarding the bidding rights for World Cups, this only seems to be the tip of the iceberg as every day another scandal or allegation of corruption involving FIFA rears its ugly head.

[ MORE: Who is Olosunde? ]

The fact that Beckham has spoken out about the scandal says a lot, with plenty of current and former players choosing to not get involved, but the former England, Manchester United, Real Madrid and LA Galaxy star did back the 2022 World Cup in Qatar, saying that “whether it’s corrupt or not, those countries have been chosen. People need to get behind that.”

Hmmm, not sure about those comments Becks.

With the latest allegations against Blatter implicating the Qatari 2022 World Cup bid once again, the likelihood of it happening still seems bleak. With U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch and the FBI also charging 16 more FIFA officials last week, we are probably not even halfway through FIFA’s pile of dirty laundry which is being sifted through carefully by the U.S. and Switzerland before being hung up in public.

I agree with you Becks, it is “disgusting” but this is, as Lynch warned way back in May, “only the tip of the iceberg.”

Follow @JPW_NBCSports