Wednesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Van Persie to Fenerbahce, Kenedy to Chelsea
Manchester United’s Robin van Persie could soon be heading out of Old Trafford and moving to Istanbul.
[ MORE: Spurs, NFL in partnership ]
Turkish giants Fenerbahce are confident that the 31-year-old Dutch striker, who has just one year left on his current deal at United, will join them this summer in a $7 million deal. According to Sky Sports, Fenerbahce’s directors are said to be in London to discuss the deal with United. Van Persie had an injury-hit campaign under Louis van Gaal last season and it is believed he is no longer a guaranteed starter with the Red Devils, even though Wayne Rooney and James Wilson are the only recognized strikers currently available to LVG.
[ MORE: Latest transfer gossip ]
With United not picking up their option to buy Radamel Falcao permanently and Javier Hernandez out injured after breaking his collarbone, it would be a little surprising if van Persie was allowed to leave. However with Memphis Depay, Angel di Maria and Ashley Young set to play starring roles in-behind Rooney this season, maybe RVP is no longer needed?
[ VIDEO: Lampard, Gerrard to make MLS debuts ]
Brazilian forward Kenedy is said to have had a medical in London ahead of completing a $10 million switch to Chelsea. The Daily Mail says that Kenedy was sold to an investment company last month but that the Blues will be buying the 19-year-old Fluminense forward and plan to loan him out next season. The Brazil U-20 attacker, who primarily plays on the right, joins compatriot Nathan who signed for Chelsea in May in a similar deal.
Sources have confirmed to ProSoccerTalk that Stoke City midfielder Steven Nzonzi if finalizing a move to Spanish side Sevilla. The Potters have reluctantly accepted a $12 million bid from the reigning Europa League champions. Nzonzi, 26, signed for Stoke from Blackburn Rovers in 2012 for around $5 million but the French midfielder is entering the final year of his deal at the Britannia Stadium and the lure of playing in the UEFA Champions League with Sevilla will have turned his head.
Yohan Cabaye is edging closer to his move to Crystal Palace with multiple outlets reporting a fee of $15 million has been agreed between the Eagles and Paris Saint-Germain. Cabaye, 29, would link up with his former manager at Newcastle United, Alan Pardew, and his arrival will be a major coup for the south London club if it comes off. With West Ham, Tottenham and Southampton all interested in the former Newcastle star -- who signed for PSG for $45 million in 2014 -- Palace seem to have won the race for the classy midfielder. His creativity sat behind the likes of Yannick Bolasie, Wilfried Zaha and Dwight Gayle could be a potent combination for the Selhurst Park club, while Cabaye needs to shine in order to rubber-stamp his place in Didier Deschamps’ France squad for the European Championships next summer.