Wednesday Transfer Rumor Roundup: Remy, Guarin, Salah and premium prices
Who’s going where (in theory) today? Oh, goodness me, it’s Wednesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup!
-- Does the world need a Mario Balotelli who isn’t calm? He sure doesn’t think so, and as such he’s putting an end to rumors that he could leave AC Milan for the blue pastures of Stamford Bridge.
--If Chelsea is really interested in dynamic attacker Fredy Guarin, they’re going to have to prove it with 15 million pounds. Jose Mourinho offered 13 million to start but saw the bid rejected, as Inter Milan says their star isn’t for sale. The 27-year-old is out of contract after this season and has 7 goals in 47 matches for Inter and has appeared 47 times for Colombia.
-- Harry Redknapp’s really coming out of his shell lately, isn’t he? The rarely-reserved QPR manager is shocked that Newcastle United haven’t dropped 16 million pounds to outright buy now-on-loan Loic Remy. The Frenchmen has been a revelation at Newcastle, the club that nearly purchased him last January before QPR burst through the door with an eight million pound transfer after an agreement with the Magpies and Remy seemed in place.
Well, NUFC manager Alan Pardew has been keen on keeping Remy around full-time, but not at twice the price of last year’s figure. Newcastle haven’t reportedly made any offers yet, and QPR would like to keep their Remy options open should they get promoted again, but Redknapp said 15 or 16 million would be his magic number. Ever shy about speaking his mind, Redknapp also has laughed off swapping London jobs should Sam Allardyce find himself out of the West Ham United gig.
-- Kyle Walker is a constant starter at White Hart Lane and it’s difficult to believe Spurs have an interest in unloading the England back, but when the vast currency of PSG and Monaco comes calling, can they -- or he -- resist? Staying with Spurs, as mentioned yesterday, it looks like Erik Lamela wants out of Tottenham. At 21, he’s failed to have the impact expected by Spurs nor the player and may prefer a return to Italy. Oh... and Michael Bradley to WHL?
-- Liverpool was ready to land Mohamad Salah in what could’ve been the move of the period, but Zenit St. Petersberg looks set to double the Reds bid. Double. The linked report makes the point that Basel worries more about the highest bid than anything else, which could spell disaster for the Reds, Spurs, Manchester United and anyone else thinking they could land the Egyptian star at a cheaper rate.
-- Much has been made of Paul Lambert’s desire to bring Wes Hoolahan to Villa Park, but Norwich City says that desire for the 31-year-old will go unrequited (especially after a very low bid). The Canaries won’t be losing their ace, and a big factor may be how Lambert left Norwich.
-- Could Arsenal be ready and willing to spend upwards of 33 million to get Jackson Martinez from Porto?