Cubs catcher Montero activated from disabled list
CHICAGO (AP) Miguel Montero was activated from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday, putting three catchers on the roster for the Chicago Cubs.
Montero had been sidelined by lower back tightness. He went 2 for 10 with two RBIs over three games in a rehab assignment with Triple-A Iowa.
“I feel good, surprisingly,” Montero said. “First day coming in, I was a little skeptical a little bit about blocking and all this, but I got to block a lot of balls. So all the issues that I have going in my mind, not in my body because I was feeling good, obviously felt pretty good blocking and that was kind of a turning point.”
Montero, 32, was in the starting lineup for Saturday’s game against Pittsburgh, batting eighth.
To make room on the roster, outfielder Ryan Kalish was designated for assignment. Kalish was promoted from Iowa on May 3 and batted .286 (2 for 7) in seven games with the Cubs.
The move with Kalish leaves catcher Tim Federowicz in place after he was promoted when Montero went on the DL. The major league-leading Cubs also have veteran catcher David Ross, who hit a three-run homer in Friday’s 9-4 victory over the Pirates.
“It gives us more freedom to do things in the latter part of the game,” manager Joe Maddon said, “where you know if you’ve seen us pull catchers early for different maneuvers and then when you’re going with just one guy, it gets to extra innings it’s never comfortable. It’s never comfortable.”
Maddon also said Federowicz’s solid play was a factor in how they handled the situation.
The roster makeup could change again when outfielder Matt Szczur comes off the disabled list. He is out with a mild right hamstring strain and is eligible to return on Wednesday.
“He is doing really well,” Maddon said. “Bussy (strength and conditioning coordinator Tim Buss) likes his progress. He’s moving well.”