Doggone it, Indianapolis Motor Speedway welcomes litter of puppies
Indianapolis Motor Speedway has a tale to tell – well, actually five tails, that is.
A stray dog chose the grounds of the legendary racetrack to have a litter of puppies on Friday.
A track worker discovered mother and her new offspring near the facility’s Solar Farm.
Track officials contacted the Indianapolis Humane Society and Animal Care and Control and mama and pups are doing just fine, with all waiting for new adopted homes to be placed in.
In fitting with the track’s legacy, mama dog was named Mari, apparently in honor of IMS and Hulman & Company chairman Mari Hulman George.
And, to take the racing theme one step – or would that be one paw – further, the puppies have picked up rather racy names:
* Danica (for NASCAR driver and former IndyCar driver Danica Patrick)
* Lyn (for IndyCar great Lyn St. James)
* Marco (for current IndyCar driver Marco Andretti)
* Dario (for former IndyCar driver and champion Dario Franchitti)
* Helio (for current IndyCar driver Helio Castroneves)
In case you’re interested in adopting a very unique IMS souvenir, contact the Indianapolis Humane Society.
Also, the folks at IMS posted an interesting photo blog of other dogs that have played a part at The Brickyard over the years. Click here to check it out.